1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From the beginning, Cousins and the Redskins had the weirdest relationship I've seen between a good QB and a team.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is the most Redskins thing ever.

sgreenwell and QYFW like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Chiefs fans are over the moon excited about this, but yet a little nervous.
    They're excited about the future of Mahomes, but at the same time, would it benefit him more having one more year in the oven?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Best to kick the baby bird out of the nest a season early than a season too late.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And with that, Kendall Fuller went back to his quiet evening reading the Classics.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fox wins multiyear deal for Thursday Night Football, proving again that the NFL cares not a whit about the players.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because the time to offer that contract was two years ago, and they didn't do it. Cousins has been playing under the franchise tag the past two years for increasingly more money (I think he was due around $34 million next season if they franchised him again), and the relationship between the QB and the team was souring the whole time.
    The Redskins were never committed to Cousins as their long-term quarterback for whatever reason, and it was all coming to a head. The team was ready to move on but didn't have a better answer at the position. Cousins was ready to move on, period. I'm not sure if getting Alex Smith is the solution the Redskins were looking for, but it's probably the best they could do for next year given the corner they painted themselves into.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As I saw someone on Facebook point out, it worked out so well the last time the Redskins picked up an aging quarterback coached by Andy Reid.

10. Michael_ Gee

I am convinced that by 2020, the players will treat Thursday night the way they do the Pro Bowl. The scoreboard won't matter to them, avoiding possible injury will be all that matters.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That will never happen.

12. Michael_ Gee

Oh, I dunno. And we may see coaches pull the Gregg Popovich play, too, putting a half-dozen starters on the injury list. Not so much at the start of the season, but by the tail end of Thursdays, if a team knows it's either in or out of the playoffs, why risk anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted