1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 19, 2018.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I just got back from the event today and I'll be there tomorrow night.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper has always been a fraud. I did a Q&A with him once and he told me if he was an NFL general manager his team would win the Super Bowl.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Welp, he’s our next president!

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Browns GM Dorsey said they have received no "legitimate" trade offers for the number one pick. Does he realize that's because 31 other teams are pretty sure he will fuck it up, so that from their point of view the draft starts with the Giants?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

DaughterQuant's best friend works at an old-school college bar/restaurant down the way from the Jerrydome (I'm sure you can guess which) and was puzzling as to why they had her scheduled to work pretty much all weekend. My wife and I said, "Hmmmm, I bet we can guess why!"

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Giants are going to a 3-4 Defense. Would he be an end or OLB ?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maddening QB drafting in a nutshell (courtesy of Matt Richner a QB analyst in a Ringer article):

"[I find] it maddening when teams fall in love with a big-armed quarterback like Wyoming’s Josh Allen because he might be able to throw a 35-yard post route even though those account for only a minuscule percentage of throws over a season, while something like a 10-yard out route is far more common. "

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's an argument I've heard regarding why they would pass on Chubb.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I agree except that the ability to throw deep, like the ability to have a receiver that can get deep with separation, is part of the reason those 10yard out routes are available.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think if you have like Pennington-ish arm strength, or Bradford-esque panic in the pocket because of past hits, then it might be an issue. Otherwise, I imagine that most NFL QBs can sling it that far with ease. I also have a hunch that touch - being able to "throw" a guy open, like the best QBs do - correlates more to accuracy than arm strength. However, I have no idea how you'd go about proving that.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This is fun:

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One point in Allen’s favor is that at a smaller school, the WRs generally aren’t that good at getting open or creating separation. So the QB is often throwing into tighter windows, checking down or throwing it away. That’s more similar to the NFL than hitting wide-open people all over the field in a spread.

I still wouldn’t touch Allen in the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted