1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 19, 2018.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Anybody from these parts actually going to be at the draft?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of taking my kids to the Jets draft party. Don't care for the team, but they're local. Anyone ever go to one of those?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of all the teams to go to a draft party for, you're picking the second-worst one (Eagles worst). But it's likely not so bad nowadays as it was in my time. Mostly season ticket holders given a perk I expect. But the history of Jets fans at past NFL drafts held in New York would make me leery.

4. Guy_Incognito

Leery like not so much fun or leery like lots of angry drunk guys around my kids?

5. Michael_ Gee

The latter. To show you that I'm old, most of the drafts I covered at Pats' team headquarters had their first rounds on Saturday afternoon. On a Thursday night, fans are gonna drink even if they're respectable well-to-do season ticket holders and Jets fans don't have much practice at being happy drunks.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

At least the Jets pick third so you can escape before the real heavy drinking begins.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper’s Top 10 NFL Draft Blunders
    Yes this article is a year old. But not enough dirt can be thrown on ‘draft gurus’.

Kiper: “If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.”

McShay: “What is your time frame, Mel? When do we make that assessment?”

Kiper: “I want eight years.”

8. Michael_ Gee

In his annual predraft press conference last week, Belichick actually said something of note, to wit, that the Pats had had to deeply investigate more players than usual whereas in past years they knew that a larger set of players were never going to fall to where they were picking. Needless to say, he did not go on to say either that this was because there was a larger group of prospective first round players of roughly equal talent than in most years or if team evaluations of players were so wildly variable this year the Pats had a better chance of snapping up someone they really liked.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Some thirty-something suburban dad starting to work on getting rid of his winter beer gut?

No, of course not. It's Davis Webb, the Giants back-up to Eli Manning after they inexplicably pass on a quarterback this week.

10. Guy_Incognito

Or other teams are getting better at it.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they pass on a QB to trade down and pick up another 1st round pick this year, and a couple of other picks this or next year, I’m fine with that, as a Giants Fan. But as much as I’d like Barkley, its tough to pass ona top 2 QB, if you get the right one.

12. Michael_ Gee

I would still pick Chubb if I were the Giants, but that's just me.

Draft saved Draft deleted