1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a week away. I couldn't find the other thread. Merge if necessary.

Here's a...story? column? advocacy?...on Lamar Jackson, probably the best player in college over the last two years.

I think he's an interesting talent - shorter version of Mariota perhaps? - but his "draft season" has apparently been a little odd.

Lamar Jackson could change the NFL — if he gets the chance

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Don’t merge.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think Jackson will be a relative steal. There are legitimate concerns that his style of play in college would translate into an RG3-like beating in the pros, but a lot of that comes down to not being arrogant. He doesn’t seem to give off that vibe.

If I had to guess, I’d say he’ll be a better version of Tyrod Taylor.

He’s not Cam Newton, but he can have a successful career in the NFL.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have been rumblings here that the Pats might take Jackson if he's still around at either 23 or 31, which he probably will be.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How much of a concern is his Wonderlic score? Did he have a problem with the play book in college?

Outside of that I think he is the lowest risk quarterback in the draft. His ability to run will mean that any team that drafts him will have a decent running game.

Micheal Vick was an effective NFL quarterback and I think Jackson can be as good.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That Kaepernick guy had a pretty good 6-game playoff stretch, what with 1,881 total yards and 11 TDs.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As far as Lamar Jackson goes, picture a canine friendly version of Michael Vick.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Not with teams like Arizona and Baltimore drafting in the teens.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think five QBs will be taken first round.

The two I trust the least of those five are Darnold and Rosen. They may also be the best.

Rosen wins the “beautiful pass” category. He can really throw it. And I don’t think he’s as much of a flake as his former college coach - himself a real different guy - lets on. But Rosen gets hurt. A lot.

Darnold strikes me as kind of a gambler, maybe a little bit of a headcase. He makes some great throws too though.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

As for the draft itself, it’ll be fun to see which of the top QBs go where. Consensus on who the top 4 are but not where they might land.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The comparison I heard for Darnold early last year was Roethlisberger. He's not as big, but he has a similar ability to make plays on the move. That would certainly fit in with your impression of a gambler and perhaps a bit of a head case.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

39F6D9A0-169C-4E74-BBA9-0FA1F6EF9393.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted