1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NBA playoffs running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's Magic, but with Karl Malone's body.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Cavs have had the greatest player in the world for 10 of the last 14 years. They are at the top of the league in salaries. You might not like the owner, but it’s been my impression that he’s not shy about paying players. The best player ever to play with LeBron in CLeveland was a draftee and he left allegedly because of James. Wade got James and Bosh to go to Miami, who has James ever ‘got’ to go to Cleveland. IS Gilbert so terrible about hiring GMs and coaches that he can’t get a championship roster filled out?

And by saying the Cavs aren’t winning another title, does 1 title sound like an appropriate achievement for the Gilbert/James era?
    And Gilbert didn’t inherit his wealth, he started a mortgage business with $5000 he earned by delivering pizzas in college. Turning that into 6.4 billion is as hard as winning a few NBA championships.

Why can’t or haven’t the Cavs been able to attract sufficient talent?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hi Skip.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

And speed explosion usually saved for track sprinters.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I have a whole bunch of boring thoughts on all the things Cleveland botched while employing the world's greatest basketball player, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants to read them. I'll just say they were at various times gullible (Hi, Carlos Boozer!) incompetent, unlucky, impatient and too patient in roster building. Add in the fact that Cleveland is the opposite of a destination city (although I love it dearly for what it is) and they ended up being extremely fortunate to even win one title with him. It's the rare place — maybe the only sports city — where one title was enough.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Oladipo says James should have been called for goaltending

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Even watching the Jazz melt in OKC, I could tell that it would still be a one man show. In a nutshell, OKC's season came down to Westbrook jacking up 2 3pters after going 1 on 1 when they were down 25 in the 3rd. In real time I thought "this one misses, season over." Of course he made them, and the lead went down to 15, then 0 very quickly as OKC went 32-7 in 8 mins. What didn't change was that OKC still was a one man show with George throwing in a few contested hero shots as well. Jazz surprisingly lost the TO battle 17-9. I respect Snyder and the Jazz enough to think they'll solve that issue quickly in SLC.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The replay I saw it was clear as a bell, clearly hit backboard first.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oladipo is correct. It was goaltending, that ball plainly hit the glass before James got to it.

But by such a barely-perceptible in live action degree that I think the refs can be excused for missing that one.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

In real time I thought he got there before the ball.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I thought it was a clean block live, but the replay showed it was pretty clearly a goaltend.

At the same time, There was an out of bounds play a few seconds earlier that went to Indiana, and the replay showed it probably should have gone to Cleveland.

Either way, I'm glad they didn't go to replay either time. Tired of replay.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted