1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 MLB playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 2, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s kinda like how Jim Edmonds would have made a difficult catch look great.

Great moment but didn’t look like it required a great catch.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I grew up in Fairfield County, Conn., and the family would go into the city a few times per year -- usually to visit Rockefeller Center, FAO Schwartz, and stroll down Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue, to gaze in wonder at the jeweler windows. We didn't have a lot of money -- my parents were both school teachers -- but it was fun to believe you could actually afford some of this glitz. We never went anywhere near Times Square because my parents loved me. Yours, apparently, did not.

jk

There were homeless people everywhere back then. Grand Central was just overrun with vagrants. It was sad, scary, and dispiriting for a child. As a senior in high school (1990), I got the brilliant idea to drive into NYC with my friends to get fake IDs. We went to Times Square. We left with three medical ID cards that said we were all of age. Yeah, those were about as influential as a note from your mom when trying to buy booze.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I was 12 when my dad took me to yankee stadium in 1989 on a bus trip. Four memories that completely summarize New York of the 1980s to me.

— signs with naked men and women advertising sex shows in the Bronx.
    — kids rolling down mounds of garbage outside the stadium.
    — fans booing Wally Backman, then with the twins, because...shit I don’t know because he had been a met?
    — a group of kids who looked my age mugging a t-shirt vendor inside the stadium and no one doing a thing.

It made finding a lump of shit in the sink at a vet seem like Christmas morning.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Probably the worst thing ever was how NYC turned 42nd Street into Disney East. The filth, bookstores, peep shows and everything else was exactly what made New York The Big, Bad City, and where suburban weenies went to prove their mettle.

Re-telling for a friend.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was 25 when I went to New York City for the first time on my own.

Bought a watch from a vendor on the street. Shocker it stopped running in a week.

What a rube.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I LOVE watching movies of New York from the 70s. Shaft and Shaft's Big Score, The French Connection, Superfly, Serpico, Taxi Driver, etc. ... love the neon against the gritty buildings, the big cars, all of it.

I was born and raised in Eastern Connecticut with the farms and such (pre-Mohegan Sun/Foxwoods), and when we would go visit our cousins in Rahway, N.J., we would also make a stop to see my great uncle Luciano, who lived in Maspeth, Queens. I was always amazed at the hustle and bustle ... and that was Queens, never mind Manhattan. I do have vague memories of going on a graffiti-riddled subway in the early 80s, and seeing quite a bit of homeless in the Times Square area. In fact, I can still remember to this day a large, gray-bearded old man picking food and drinks out of a garbage can and being absolutely amazed ... I'd never seen that before.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous take. Did he get a poor jump on the ball that made him have to dive?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You claim only he could make that catch, no one else?

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There's no question Boston was the better team.
    The Astros have gone from a curiosity to extremely unlikable in a very short time.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, that can be said about any play. Who is saying that he is the only one that can make it? It’s still a great play.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing that it was a great play. My contention is it is a great play that your average left fielder could have made.

12. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

When I was at Rutgers in the late 70’s early 80’s my roommates and I made multiple trips to New York City. One was in October the year the movie Halloween came out, and we decided to watch it near 42nd street. Of course we wouldn’t pay to go in the nice, respectable theater, with a much cheaper one right around the corner. The clientele in that theatre made the movie twice as scary. Then, when we came out, a pot dealer decided I looked like I wanted to buy, and basically harassed me, I think trying to scare me into giving him money. Of course my friends didn’t help. I walked fast and tried to ignore him as much as possible, but he didn’t stop until I got within 1 foot of a policeman.
    On another trip my freshman year, we were surprised to find a go-go bar with no entry fee. Of course we go in and order drinks, and a beer costs $10. One of the topless young ladies sits down with us (and I have to say they were pretty high class), and my friend offers to buy her a drink. She orders a water and I’m pretty sure the charged us $15 for tap water. Of course she wants to know if any of us want to go in the back room with her, but I’m pretty sure none of us had enough money for that. We stayed in there about 10 minutes and our bill was $45 for 3 of us. 3 beers and a water.

Draft saved Draft deleted