1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 LLWS Thread (ding, ding)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. That was a good 30-for-30.
    I remember watching the Kirkland team and I also recall the Toms River NJ team in the late 90s. Were they the first American team to win in a number of years?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Trumbull CT and Chris Drury, 1989..

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. They didn't even get on the plane to Pennsylvania after winning the regional in 1993. Used something like a pool of 2,000 kids from one school when the allotment was closer to 1,000. I told the Long Beach manager about it and he was beyond happy. They went on to win the title in a rare repeat from the same league. It's virtually impossible to win the LLWS title muchless back-to-back, even in those days. Though I said back then the toughest Little League tournament in the world was the SoCal championship.

The Philippines used the overage players that caused it to forfeit the 1992 title to Burroughs/Long Beach.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Tokyo-Kitsuna has won two of the last three years. Since they won two years apart I would think the rosters had turned over for the second team. Which leads me to wonder if perhaps they brought in some ineligible payers from outside their league. What are the chances that one neighborhood is going to generate enough talented baseball players to win an international tournament?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One possible answer: The training regimen around that area might be a different world than what most do. You find travel-ball mutts getting together in the U.S. now, kids that play 12 months, and they have a natural leg up on kids who treat Little League like ... Little League.

6. jr/shotglass

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

Superb performance by the Hawaii kids. And by their coach, too. Those kids really seemed to care for each other.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fun, hadn't watched in a few years. Some good baseball shown.

Was Eric Gregg reincarnated though? Or did he return as an imposter? That strike zone was flashbacks of '97 Livan v. Braves.

Draft saved Draft deleted