1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 LLWS Thread (ding, ding)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

These kids aren’t exploited, what’s weird as hell is grown adults giving a shit about 12 year old kids they aren’t related to playing baseball.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I’m sympathetic. It sounds insanely draconian to bench the guy for the entire year because of it. I’d prefer the old two-game suspension.

But getting everybody in is Job 1 for every manager. Most guys do it by the fourth inning just to avoid this situation. The reason it’s such a harsh rule is because guys will take any leeway they can on it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, you pinch hit your subs whenever you have two outs and nobody on.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's actually one of the better areas of Berdoo. It's eight miles north of downtown. Up against the mountains. And the complex has held up in the 50 years since it was built.

And the reason it's where it's at, Little League got the land basically for free. And San Bernardino was the first place west of the Mississippi to have a Little League program. It's a very well-supported event. Before Little League carved it up and diminished the regionals to send more teams to Williamsport starting in 2001, there routinely would be crowds in the five-figures -- especially when the Burroughs teams in 1992 and 1993 -- into that place. It was insane in the 1990s.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The WAGs section for Hawai’i is hot.

6. DanOregon

Wives and girlfriends of 12-year-olds - you sick pedo.

And even though they now go eight regionals instead for four, I know both the west and the northwest regionals are held in San Berdoo.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Growing up in the 1980s, I can tell you how much all of the kids I knew hated Taiwan for winning what seemed liked every year. Most of us couldnt find Taiwan on a map, but we “knew” they were cheaters. My last year in LL was when Connecticut (led by future NHL player Chris Drury) won, and we all watched that series. It was our preteen version of Super bowl III and miracle on ice. All we talked about until school got back.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Do you mean Chinese Taipei?

9. DanOregon

I'm still amazed it took Little League that long to bust Taiwan - in most leagues a non-white goes 4 for 4 and everyone wants to see his birth certificate and papers before anyone heads to the snow cone shack.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When they finally got nailed, it wasn’t for overage players. It was because they drew from too large a pool.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Of course, those of us just a little bit older than you remember Cody Webster and the boys from Kirkland, Wash., who won it all in 1982.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They did a 30 for 30 on that that was on Netflix.

Draft saved Draft deleted