1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 LLWS Thread (ding, ding)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons UCLA fired Jim Mora was because he insisted on opening training camp at Cal State San Bernardino.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From what Verducci wrote in SI years back, we can credit/blame that team for travel ball. They kept winning Pony and Babe Ruth titles, and one of the dads -- a fabulously wealthy guy, you might know who it was -- funded the creation of the East Cobb facility as a reward to the coach. It was the first place of its kind anywhere and still hosts the biggest events.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember that story. Yeah, East Cobb baseball went bananas not long after that LLWS title. Maybe if every kid in the suburbs had moved away, my mediocre-field/no-hit self could have made a travel team!

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Little League I played in has gone to Williamsport three times. I had a friend on the 1975 team and I remember calling his brother each night to get the score after he got a call from his parents in San Bernardino.

My friend got burnt out on baseball and didn't even play in high school.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah but for my team from NorCal in the early 70's that was the penultimate goal (before Williamsport) and we made it through our district to get to San Bernadino and it was magical. Unfortunately, we lost and did not make it to Williamsport.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Crazy how many kids peak and/or burn out right after Little League. Couple of my buddies played on a team that made it to the semifinals in NJ. Their best pitcher was 6' 160 in LL He threw 70 mph and kids were afraid to bat against him. In hs, he was one inch taller and 20 lbs bigger. He maybe hit 80 mph, had a weak curveball and was the No. 3 pitcher as a senior.

7. LongTimeListener

Nice unis, Houston team.

[​IMG]

BitterYoungMatador2, JC and ChrisLong like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10 all they got? I've heard of teams taking fewer than the max because of the 2 inning, 1ab rule. The max is 14.

9. LongTimeListener

The Chronicle ran a slideshow that had 13 players. Guess some were missing that day.

The other three are white too.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Every time I hear someone bring up San Bernardino, I tell the story about when my college roommate and I drove up from San Diego to see a minor-league game (we were trying to get to all the Cal League parks back then). When we got off on the road where the old Fiscalini Field was, there was still a couple hours to kill before the game so we started looking for someplace to eat. My buddy pointed out and suggested a place on that road, and I told him I'd rather wait until we got to a better part of town. Ten minutes later, after I continued the drive, I realized there was no better part of town, so we took a U-turn and went back to the original restaurant.

MTM, MileHigh and poindexter like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted