1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 LLWS Thread (ding, ding)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also throw in that the interactions with the international players are a great thing. Now, showing pictures of them crying? Exploitive as hell.

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Little League pays for players and coaches to fly to not only Williamsport but also to the regionals. Teams and coaches are housed and fed on-site.

I covered the regionals in SoCal for several years. There were always stories of parents having to pay their way from Alaska or Idaho or Wyoming or Hawaii to see Jimmy Lipper play in the big stadium. And pay their own hotel rooms and other expenses.

Hell, I wrote several stories of coaches who had to work/negotiate to get time off work and some had their jobs threatened to be terminated because of it.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm sure every regional has a similar list, but this is pretty cool

FROM THE LITTLE LEAGUE WESTERN REGIONAL BASEBALL TOURNAMENT TO A PRO CAREER

SAN BERNARDINO, CALIF. – While all of the participants of the Little League Western Regional Tournament enjoy their experience in San Bernardino, there are a handful of notable stars who have gone on to have professional careers.

Cody Bellinger – Chandler (Ariz.) National Little League (2007)

Today, he roams the outfield and first base for the Los Angeles Dodgers, but in 2007 he roamed Al Houghton Stadium at the Little League Western Regional Headquarters in San Bernardino, Calif. Cody Bellinger was a member of the Chandler (Ariz.) National Little League team that won the Arizona State Title, took home the West Region crown, and earned a trip to the Little League Baseball® World Series. A decade after his appearance in San Bernardino and Williamsport, Mr. Bellinger was promoted to the Dodgers and had a break out year that included being name an All-Star, participating in the Home Run Derby, earning National League Rookie of the Year honors, and helping his Dodgers to a National League Championship.

Sean Burroughs – Long Beach (Calif.) Little League (1992-93)

One of the more famous players in the Western Regional Tournament that later played in Major League Baseball was Sean Burroughs. As a Little Leaguer®, he was a dominating force for Long Beach (Calif.) Little League both on the mound and at the plate. Long Beach LL is the only team to successful defend its Regional crown, winning in both 1992 and 1993, going on to win the LLBWS in both years. Mr. Burroughs was also a member of the 2000 USA Olympic team that won a gold medal in the Sydney Games. Originally drafted by the San Diego Padres after a tremendous high school career, Mr. Burroughs played for several major league teams as a third baseman, but injuries and circumstances limited his success in the major league.

Ed Vosberg – Cactus Little League (Tucson, Ariz.) (1973)

Ed Vosberg is one of only three players to have been in the Little League Baseball World Series, the College World Series, and Major League Baseball World Series. In 1973, Mr. Vosberg was a pitcher for the Cactus Little League team from Tucson, Ariz. Wining the West Region Crown, Arizona went on to the Little League Baseball World Series where they fell to Taiwan in the championship game. In the semifinals, Mr. Vosberg threw a one hitter, and later in his collegiate career, helped led the University of Arizona Wildcats to the College World Series. Drafted in 1983 by the San Diego Padres, Mr. Vosberg was a left-handed relief pitcher that played for multiple teams during his ten year major league career. 1n 1997, he was a member of the Florida Marlins where he helped lead them to a World Series title.

Michael Conforto – Redmond (Wash.) North Little League (2004)

In 2004, Michael Conforto came to San Bernardino as a member of Redmond North Little League, leading his team to the Northwest Region Championship to earn a trip to Williamsport. Following his impressive Little League career, Mr. Conforto went on to play for Oregon State where he led his team to the 2013 College World Series. Currently, Mr. Conforto plays for the New York Mets and will be returning to Williamsport this summer to play in the MLB Little League Classic on Sunday, August 19.

Stephen Fife – South Central Boise (Idaho) Little League (1999)

Stephen Fife led Idaho to its first and only West Regional Championship in 1999 as a member of South Central Boise (Idaho) Little League. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in 2008 and began his major league in 2012 as a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Darnell Coles – San-Ri Little League (Rialto/San Bernardino, Calif.) (1974)

As a member of one of three local-area teams to ever play at the Western Regional Headquarters in San Bernardino, Darnell Coles led the San-Ri Little League from Rialto & San Bernardino to the West Regionals in 1974. Unfortunately, San-Ri lost in the championship game to a very tough Red Bluff team from Northern California. After a star career at Eisenhower High School, lettering in four sports, Mr. Coles earned a football scholarship to UCLA. Despite his scholarship, Mr. Coles was also drafted by the Seattle Mariners and chose to play baseball. Mr. Coles later starred with the Detroit Tigers, hitting 20 home runs in one season. He is currently the hitting instructor for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Hank Conger – Ocean View Little League (Huntington Beach, Calif.) (2000)

Hank Conger played for Ocean View Little League of Huntington Beach, Calif., in the 2000 Western Regional Tournament. In the championship game, the team from Washington avoided pitching to him in each of his at bats, and went on to defeat Ocean View Little League by a run. Mr. Conger was later drafted by the Anaheim Angles in 2006, played in his first major league game for the Angels in 2011, and was later traded to the Houston Astros.

Ken Hubbs – Colton (Calif.) Little League (1954)

While he never played at the Western Regional Headquarters, Ken Hubbs and the Colton (Calif.) Little League went to the Little League Baseball World Series in 1954. He lettered in four sports in high school, named All-CIF in three sports, and was named an All-American in both football and baseball. After being recruited by John Wooden to play basketball at UCLA, Mr. Hubbs was drafted by the Chicago Cubs and quickly made his way to the majors, setting many fielding records in his brief career. In 1962, he was named the National League Rookie of the Year and became the first rookie to also win the Golden Glove. Unfortunately, his career was cut short as he died shortly later in a plane crash. In his honor, Colton Little League has since been renamed Ken Hubbs Little League and continues to be an active Little League program today.

Matt and Marques Tuiasosopo – Woodinville (Wash.) Little League (1995 & 1998)

There have been several players who played at the Western Regionals and went on to play in the NFL instead of Major League Baseball. One of them is part of the only brother combination that played in the West Regional tournament that also went on to play professionally, the Tuiasosopo brothers. Graduates of Woodinville (Wash.) Little, Marques played in San Bernardino in 1995 and Matt played in 1998. Marques was drafted by the Minnesota Twins, but opted to accept a football scholarship to the University of Washington where he led the Huskies to a Pac 10 and Rose Bowl Championship 2000. One year later, he was drafted by the Oakland Raiders and spent eight season in the NFL. Today he serves as the quarterback coach at the University of California-Berkley. His brother Matt played at the Western Regional in 1998, was drafted by the Mariners in 2004, and later made his MLB debut in 2008 before going on to play with the Detroit Tigers.

Turk Schonert – Bolsa Little League (Garden Grove, Calif.) (1968)

One of two NFL players that played in the Western Regional Tournament before they were located at the Western Regional Headquarters complex in San Bernardino, Turk Schonert went on to have an extremely successful athletic career. In 1968, he led Bolsa Little League to a West Region championship, earning a trip to the Little League Baseball World Series. Following his Little League career, Mr. Schonert made the decision to concentrate on football and later started for Stanford University. Originally drafted by the Chicago Bears, he played nine seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, leading them into two Super Bowls. Mr. Schonert retired from playing in the NFL in 1998.

Brian Sipe – El Cajon (Calif.) Northern Little League (1961)

Drafted by the Cleveland Browns, Brian Sipe played nine seasons for Cleveland with his best season coming in 1980 when he led the Browns to the playoffs, received the NFL MVP award, was named to the Pro Bowl, and was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Year. His athletic success came early in life, however, leading the El Cajon (Calif.) Northern Little League to the 1961 West Region Championship and a trip to the Little League Baseball World Series. Mr. Sipe would later also star at San Diego State before going into the NFL.

Matt Cassel – Northridge City (Calif.) Little League (1994)

Matt Cassel spent most of his college career playing behind a Heisman-winning quarterback at USC, and even spent time playing tight end and running back. However, learning to be adaptable and overcome tough situations came early in life for Matt Cassel. The Cassel’s home was destroyed in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, and like most of his teammates of the Northridge City (Calif.) Little League, Matt’s family had to find a new place live under difficult conditions. Despite the challenges, Northridge City LL stormed through the Southern California Divisional and earned a place in the Western Regional Tournament. Known as the “Earthquake Kids” Northridge City LL, went on to win the United States championship at the Little League Baseball World Series before later falling in the World Series championship game. While Matt faced challenges at USC, he was the ultimate team player, switching positions several times one season to help his team overcome injuries. Dedication and a never-give-up attitude helped him to get drafted as a quarterback with the New England Patriots, and in 2008 when fellow Little Leaguer Tom Brady was injured early in the season, Mr. Cassel became the starting quarterback for the remainder of the season. Mr. Cassel was eventually traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, where he led the team to the playoffs and was later named to the Pro Bowl.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At least a few years ago, when a team from the place I worked advanced to the finals, CBSSN picked up the US and International finals and the title game. Don't know if that's still the deal or not.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The San Bernardino area around the Little League complex area is as visually unappealing as possible.

I feel sorry for any parents thinking they are going to visit LA and end up at that dump.

maumann likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Yeah, the "enjoy their experience in San Bernadino" kind of stopped me in my tracks. I don't think I've ever seen that combination of words put together like that.

MTM and maumann like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Thankfully when we moved to Redlands in 1966, the smog was so bad we couldn't see San Bernardino most days. But we could smell it. And on subsequent trips to California Speedway as an adult, my opinion of San Bernardino was only reinforced. Although you can see the mountains a whole lot better.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Little League (East Marietta, Georgia) won the Series in 1983. I was three years younger than that team. The best player was Marc Pisciotta, who pitched in the bigs.

One of the players lived four doors down and was a bench player. I remember watching the ABC broadcast and saying something stupid about how he wasn't playing, and my Dad was plenty pissed at me for it.

LongTimeListener and maumann like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As long as there's a bar and a waterpark, parents and kids will be happy.

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. DanOregon

Okay, maybe they are exploited. I didn't realize all of the regional sites have their own complexes (housing, pools etc) for teams in addition to Williamsport. Seems kind of wasteful. Granted squaring away a room block at a team hotel would cost some as well, but outside of the tourneys are they used that much? Couldn't teams be put up at a nearby camp or college with the same amenities?

Draft saved Draft deleted