1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 11, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Steroids were illegal to possess and use unless prescribed when Clemens and bonds took them. They knew they were cheating, same as manny

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. I used to actually think about this the other way: I'd have put Manny in and not the others, because Manny was caught and paid his penance.

I wouldn't love voting for Bonds and Clemens, but their behavior was a product of their time. I hate that they (and other users) put the guy playing against them in a bad position, i.e. sacrifice your health or your career.

But I feel like the Hall of Fame without those two guys feels stupid.

3. CD Boogie

I agree they should both be in, but I’d swap in Manny for Andruw Jones.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jason Isringhausen? Really?

5. CD Boogie

I was more surprised to see Brad Lidge on the list.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not saying he belongs, but his 2008 was among the great seasons ever for a closer.

7. Dick Whitman

I think they often put guys like that on the ballot just as kind of a nod. It's like letting a guy sign a contract and retire with his team. Largely ceremonial, but still.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I was always under the assumption that they just put anyone on that met a certain threshold when it came to years in the league, since guys like Isringhausen would be on the ballot. Is there some sort of written criteria about it? Maybe Gee would know, since he had a ballot at one point.

9. Dick Whitman

We've talked about it here before. There are guys who meet that threshold that don't get on the ballot. Gee may have volunteered some names before, or the guy who was a real thoughtful voter who I haven't seen here in a while.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

3. Eligible Candidates -- Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

E. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

Method of Election:

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

BBWAA Election Rules

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It allows moronic writers to vote for them as some sort of statement or look at me ballot. Pedro Gomez for example.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yup. Stupid enough to get caught twice. Also, he was one of the biggest pains in the asses to ever live. A walking advertisement for the utilization of the "integrity, sportsmanship, character" clause. Ever want to see the smile drain from Terry Francona's face, ask him about dealing with that moron.

Draft saved Draft deleted