1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

BBWAA announces the three finalists for the Spink Award: Star Tribune's Patrick Reusse, Akron Beacon Journal's Sheldon Ocker, and Ft Worth Star Telegram's Jim Reeves

Reeves was the runner-up last year. Surprising that Juan Vene got dumped from a finalist, especially with the meeting happening in Miami, after two straight third-place finishes and Furman Bisher missed by 28 votes in 2015 but hasn't been finalist since.

2. Della9250

2018 Ford C. Frick Award Ballot

The eight finalists for the 2018 Frick Award are: Buddy Blattner, Joe Buck, Bob Costas, Dizzy Dean, Don Drysdale, Al Michaels, Joe Morgan and Pee Wee Reese.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am still a Spink voter, and it's starting to become really difficult because of knowing all the nominees. Hate the feeling I screwed two people I like and respect.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya gotta be fucking kidding me.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Della9250

I think at this point it's obvious the national ballot is getting pretty thin. No offense to Pee Wee Reese but he's by far the weakest candidate and he's technically the eighth-best candidate. Of course with Costas, Michaels and Buck lined up, that covers the next decade worth of elections.

6. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Where is Rivera on that ballot? He retired in 2013, therefore is eligible next year.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Della9250

This doesn't even make sense

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm not crazy about Costas anymore...but is there another broadcaster who should be in before him?

heyabbott, sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The first six years they gave this award, it went to Mel Allen, Red Barber, Bob Elson, Russ Hodges, Ernie Harwell, Vin Sculey and Jack Brickhouse.

Maybe I am doing the thing where you make people more legendary after the fact. And pioneers tend to be remembered particularly fondly. Plus, I have no memory of any of those broadcasters during their time. I know the legends more than their actual work. Still, as good as Buddy Blattner, Joe Buck, Bob Costas, Dizzy Dean, Don Drysdale, Al Michaels, Joe Morgan. etc. were/are, it feels like a completely different conversation to me. Anyone else feeling that?

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those legends were all local-first broadcasters, associated with one team for decades and beloved by those teams' fan bases as part of their fandom. All the names for 2018 are national-first or indeed only national broadcasters. It is an inescapable part of sports that the same fans who love their local announcers hate national ones. I dunno why, but it's been true my whole life long.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Definitely remember him from the 1989 Earthquake WS, plus a whole lot more '80s baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted