1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Best NHL fight I ever saw live was Craig Berube against Basil McRae at Maple Leaf Gardens

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

August 2025
    St. Louis area
    Kindergarten roll call

Gloria Adams
    Ryan Brown
    Gloria Burns
    Gloria Cook
    Jordan Edwards
    Gloria Engel
    Jaden Jones
    Gloria Larsen
    Gloria Matthews
    Gloria Patrick
    Ryan Patrick
    Vladimir Richards
    Gloria Stevens
    Gloria Thompson

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Somebody tweeted on FB last night -- facetiously -- about how the big, physical teams have become obsolete. It was also pointed out that Washington won last year as a rugged, not overly speedy, team. That's what I've been wondering for a few weeks. All the fast teams left early. Does it take one style (fast) to succeed in the regular season, and a different style (physical) to succeed in the postseason?

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Ish. Washington has tons of skill, much more than STL. I think it takes high quality D, Blues have that in spades. I think theres something to the battle tested road, Blues beat some real loaded heavy teams out West and Boston kind of had a walk. Columbus was heavy but that was basically two months ago by now

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All born in March 2020.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Washington won because of skill and speed and happened to be big as well. Boston was not an overly big aggressive team.

But the fact that the people in the nhl and their broadcast partners think it is somehow acceptable to have completely different standards between regular season and the playoffs says all you need to know about this league.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

With two first time champions, it’s obvious that the league is going downhill to the noobs.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

After watching these playoffs, I'm convinced it is even more than that: there is almost no comparing what the players will do in the regular season and the playoffs. There are a lot of no-hitters in games 1-82. There are almost none starting on the second Wednesday in April. It is not only the standard that changes, it is the players themselves. They get nastier -- by a very large margin. It is not just the officiating, it is the way the game is played itself.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To some extent, that happens in the NBA playoffs as well (obviously the amounts of physical contact vary wildly in the two sports. I believe it's due not just for the higher stakes, but because you play the same opponents over and over. This breeds resentments.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If the officiating was held to a proper standard than skill and speed would still flourish. There’s no doubt that players play harder and are willing to do more in the playoffs than the regular season, it’s when the rules change that a guy like Patrick Maroon is all of sudden lauded as key player that you have problems. It’s bush.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And to think the Dallas Stars took the Blues to overtime in Game 7 of the West semifinals. Don't know if that makes Stars fans proud or sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted