1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's the part that gets to be frustrating. The guys wearing the striped shirts on the ice have to be consistent about it, and if there is a question, get Toronto on the headset and look at it.
    Cripes, they can look at goal/no goal- icing or not- offside or not......I get that it's more judgement than actual rule, but something needs to get figured out.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally saw the play. Yeah, no way that's a major. Two minutes, cross checking. Move on. The refs are directly influencing the outcome of too many games in these playoffs.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's at the most. Get a group of hockey officials in the same room watching that, and I would say the overwhelming majority would say "play on". Especially with under 10 to go in a Game 7.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Jonathan Marchessault:

“I really hope Joe Pavelski is OK. You never want to see something bad like that happen. But it’s a fucking joke To call five minutes for that? It changed the whole outcome of the game. Like, seriously, what is that? It’s so disappointing. The game’s not even close. It’s 3-0. Call a two? OK. But a five? For something you don’t even see? You just call the outcome. It’s a fucking joke. It’s embarrassing. That’s what it is.”

https://deadspin.com/the-golden-kni...ook&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook

ChrisLong and Sea Bass like this.
  5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He’s absolutely right.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He crossed checked him but it's barely a minor? C'mon man. By admitting one you are conceding the other. There's no barely about it.

The refs have discretion for severity of penalties based on factors including injuries. Pavelski was knocked backward by a cross check and put in a vulnerable position. That vulnerable position set him up to collide with another player. That collision resulted in him hitting his head on the ice. The "barely a cross check" resulted in a serious injury regardless if he "was slightly off balance." No penalty, no collision, no injury. The logic follows. Officials have the discretion in the rules.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

It was a bad call. That should have never been a major penalty. That is ridiculous.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

By “barely,” I mean that if Pavelski weren’t injured, it would “maybe” have been a minor, and maybe would not have even been called. Actually, the more I watch it, the more I lean towards the latter. Neither ref’s arm went up, after all.

And I understand the refs have discretion. I’m saying they used it incorrectly.

I really like the Sharks. I love Thornton, Burns and Goodrow. But they got handed a gift.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It looked like they penalized the injury, not a penalty. If the arm had gone up right away, fine. But they weren't even going to call a minor. They only stopped play because Pavelski was on the ice bleeding. It didn't become a penalty until then.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Which is interesting, because they clearly didn't penalize the injury when Foegele boarded Oshie.
    (Before anyone cries that I'm being a homer, I absolutely believe that two minutes/no suspension was the right call there. Oshie was already in a weird, wobbly position and the hit sent him tumbling. I don't believe Foegele had the intent to board him maliciously and injure him.)

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Major was questionable but Sharks still have score 4 in 5 min, only 2nd time in NHL history.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bad call, but you cant give up four powerplay goals

Draft saved Draft deleted