1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Nick Jensen effect

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hagelin and Jensen have been nice additions. Enough? Who knows? There's a chance. Tampa may be too good this year

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You were much nicer in your response than I would have been if the roles were reversed.

MTM likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Their goalie situation goes even beyond that b/c the guy they really thought was going to be the heir to Hank is Igor Shestyorkin, who had a 1.11 gaa and a .953 save percentage in the KHL this year and is probably coming over next year. Alexandar Georgiev has been amazing this year, though-- that Benoit Allaire magic. It's a good problem to have, but they may have a logjam on their hands.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Caps effort last night was stinkier than the shit I took this morning. Can't be on all the time, I guess. Still, just need two points from the last two games (or for Pittsburgh or the Isles to drop two) to secure the division.

Big games tonight for the East wild-card contenders: Carolina gets Toronto on the second night of a back to back; same for Montreal with Tampa. Columbus gets Boston at home.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pens have Red Wings twice and Rangers. Isles have Panthers and then Caps. I don't expect Florida to return the favor. Caps need to beat Montreal Thursday. Last night was inexcusable with something on the line.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I know what you’re trying to say - that the Leafs are dog shit lately. But they’ve known for about a month that they’ll play the Bruins in the first round. Not much on the line in those last seven games.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Pens still have to win all three and hope the Caps don't get two points out of two games to win the division. They'd take the ROW tiebreaker if they're tied at 103. Still fairly unlikely, though if Washington skates through mud like it did for 50 minutes last night, it becomes a little more plausible. I think the Caps take care of business against Montreal on Thursday. Just a hunch.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to Sharks game in Sat night against the Knights (2nd Row, boy that’s fun) and the Sharks have awful goaltending. That Jones guy gave up a couple pf real soft ones. Too bad because Sharks have skaters. Hertl is big and creates havoc.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

They probably could have put themselves in a position to get home ice. I get that home ice normally doesn't mean a ton in the NHL but...how did the series with Boston end last year?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So after tonight in the East ...
    Boston spanks CBJ, Montreal beats the Lightning, Carolina tops the Leafs and (of course) the Red Wings whip the Penguins. Everybody who matters has played 80 games.

Pittsburgh is out of the Metro title race with the loss.
    Carolina is back into the first wild card spot, one point ahead of Columbus and Montreal.
    Columbus will win the tiebreak with Montreal due to ROW, so the Canadiens have to finish ahead of the Jackets.

Should be a fun race to the end.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They had the West seemingly in hand in March. Now another first-round el foldo would not be surprising if the goaltending can't get it together.

Draft saved Draft deleted