1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I would agree with the Jackets. I think the Devils are going to be better this year. The Flyers should hold form if they can get some goaltending by the deadline.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A shameless plug:

I do a thing on Twitter, mostly to keep up with the league (and sharpen my brevity for headline writing and such), in which I write one-tweet recaps of the previous night's NHL games. I posted one-tweet previews for all 31 teams today.

The (recently changed) handle is @NHLin280.

[​IMG]
    Thank you for your support.

OscarMadison, Slacker and TigerVols like this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's YOU?? I support his efforts. Good stuff and easy to keep up with what's going on in the league.

Vombatus and UPChip like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's YOU???

If I'd known I'd had the Moddy Seal of Approval (TM), I would have shamelessly exploited it much earlier than I have.

OscarMadison and Vombatus like this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your follower count could be in the MILLIONS I'm telling you. Millions.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How’d you like to work at The Atlantic?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll go with Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, Boston to make it. I know I am not putting myself on any limbs with that prediction. Of the remaining two, I guess I'd give the edge to Florida and Philly, although I think Buffalo could put it together and take the next step this season.

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

If Mike Smith doesn’t regress a huge amount and Bill Peters coaches an up tempo style, which I understand is in the cards, I like Calgary to surprise, maybe second in the division behind SJ. Neal and Lindholm are huge upgrades as is Dube and they have a v quick team. Hamilton was just awful last year, might have looked good on TV with his goals but at rinkside it was plain he was out for himself and was slow and lazy. Hamonic did a lot of heavy lifting last year that was not appreciated in the press but was evident if you watched closely. Bennett is playing for his career in the NHL so he will be better and Jankowski has skill and size. Obviously Gaudreau is almost unstoppable and now he will have better players to dish to. Monahan is one of the most underrated centres in the league.
    They are far better on paper than Edmonton, LA or Anaheim but they have to bring it to the rink. If they do they will win a playoff round. Seemingly a well balanced team with speed and some skill and playing for Giordanos last shot a the SC and for a new arena in Calgary. There’s a lot on the line in the next 2 years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What happens to Vegas this year? More of the same? Slight regression? Does Fleury have another year in him like he did last year? Will those guys play with the same chip they did last year? How much does losing Schmidt for 20 games hurt?

(That's a lot of questions)

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My guess is that they struggle to make the playoffs this year.

I know that Winnipeg is a popular president's trophy choice going into this season, but I am going to go with them making it to the finals from the west anyhow. That is a really talented team.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

20 games for Tom Wilson.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's a lot.

Maybe he'll fucking learn, finally. I'm over his shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted