1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Q to the Flyers.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Heads up -- the Red Wings have the Emergency Back-up Goaltender dressed in Philly tonight after Jimmy Howard's back seized up in the warm-up.

Unfortunately, it is not Gritty.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jamie Oleksiak: "Let's fight Tom Wilson to get him back for breaking Zach Aston-Reese's jaw in the playoffs."

Moments later, in Gob Bluth voice: "I've made a huge mistake."

Great game.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll give Wilson this. ... Just in the relatively small number of his games I have watched the last few years, I have seen him lay some of the dirtiest hits I have seen from any player. So I wouldn't have been surprised if he would be the kind of asshole who would literally be kicking a man who is down. In that fight, though, right after he landed that fist square to the jaw, he had the sense to back off. Good for him.

6. Moderator1

He takes his cheap shots with those suspendable hits - when it comes to fighting he plays it straight. So he's got that going for him.

As entertaining a game as I've seen in years, though I would have enjoyed it a smidge more if the Caps had two more goals.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Remember what I said about Ovechkin's insane shooting percentage? Yeah, that came back down to Earth a bit last night. Was missing everything by inches. Very entertaining game.

8. Moderator1

It happens. First time in like a month they haven't scored at least three. Funny, I'm not surprised they'd lose to the Penguins. As much as I hate their whiny asses, they're pretty good. But I thought it would be 6-5 sted 2-1. Penguins aren't exactly defensive stalwarts. Murray's goals against is only slighter lower than my GPA in college (and I was a kickass student).

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really think it was market correction from the matchup in November. The Caps had no business winning that one. I'm not saying the Penguins had no business winning last night, but the Caps were the better team for big stretches. Young Siegenthaler learned a lesson too, don't let Crosby just hang around in front of the net. Sheesh.

10. Moderator1

Orpik needs to return, soon. Depth on defense is not a Capitals strength. I hope they move Burakovsky for a real live defenseman who can play defense.

Or, hell, Karl Alzner isn't doing anything right now as far as I know. Kidding

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

No commentary here on Jim Lites’ meltdown? I can see the frustration in Dallas over Benn and Seguin, but it kind of rings hollow when the supporting cast is so ineffective and has been for a few years. Does it ever make sense for an exec - and not one directly involved in hockey ops to boot - to call out athletes in the press like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted