1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think? I can't keep up with what they're doing.
    First game I saw there, two seasons ago, I sat next to a very nice, longtime Islanders fan. I asked him if the place was full of Brooklynites or folks from the Island coming in since the LIRR has a station right there. He said it was mostly from the Island, for now. They hated the place. Not designed for hockey, many seats have obstructed views. Atmosphere was almost non-existent.

If they lose Tavares and don't get a decent goalie, that could be a really shitty team. Really shitty. Of course, Trotz may make them more attractive to Tavares and some other free agents.

The ISLANDERS should play on LONG ISLAND. It's not that hard.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Barclays Center was just a bad idea, not just because its a crappy place to watch a hockey game, but because the fan base for that team, as small as it was, was on Long Island, and they were the kind of people who wanted to drive locally to see their games. There was no way they were ever going to to create or take fans from the outer boroughs. It's Rangers country. So that left them with a small fan base to begin with, that had no interest in traveling to Brooklyn, and even if they did, watching games in an area that sucks for hockey. It was so predictable how that would go.

The Belmont Park arena is not going to be much better, I think, It will get a little excitement when it opens, but once the novelty wears off, it is still in the extreme western part of Nassau County, pretty much Queens. It's subtle, but when you are talking about the Northern State or Meadowbrook Parkway to get to a game, people on Long Island will hop in their cars and it's not that difficult. You start talking about the Cross Island Parkway and the perception is "Oh shit, we have to drive to 'the city for the game.' "

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Grubauer will most certainly be traded tonight.

Burakovsky is the piece that could open the cap space for Carlson.

Reirden better be named coach soon or I'm gonna lose my shit. That's the only thing that will make the Trotz mess palatable.

5. John B. Foster

Capitals Acquire Second Round Pick in the 2018 NHL Draft from Colorado

He already did.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

WOW.

Grubauer and Brooks Orpik to Colorado for the Avs' second-round pick tonight.

THAT'S how they'll sign Carlson.

7. Moderator1

You'd think Grubauer alone would bring back more than a second.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He probably would. But no one was willing to take that huge cap hit off the books. Orpik -- God bless him -- is one of the huge reasons why the Caps were in salary cap hell. You probably take less in player just for the sake of getting that contract off the books.

9. John B. Foster

Colorado won’t be keeping Orpik according to @Elliotte Friedman - they will try to find a trade partner or buy him out.

10. Moderator1

Yeah, total salary dump. I figured they would trade Grubauer (clearly a luxury they can't afford) and buy out Orpik - if they had that option.
    There's going to be another move somewhere and then maybe Carlson gets done.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Better off attaching him to this deal and not have dead money on your cap.

Cosmo likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Rangers had three first round picks. I am just not used to that. Their history with the draft hasn't been all that great, so it was hard to be excited.

They are absolutely giddy about this Russian winger they took with the 9th pick, comparing him to Kuznetsov. He wasn't rated that high on any other boards. I am just hoping they didn't outsmart themselves yet again. At least the draft made it clear that they are serious about a rebuild, and they aren't going to do the typical New York thing where they only go half in because the fans are so impatient.

I have been reading Kevin Hayes' name mentioned a lot as the guy getting a lot of interest from other teams. I have mixed feelings. He seems stoned all the time. We laugh about it. After his rookie season he was putting on weight, and he had a bit of a sophomore slump. We thought it was a chronic case of the munchies, and he was going to eat his way out of the NHL. Then, he came into camp about 20 pounds lighter for his third season, like he was taking hockey seriously, and even though his demeanor still comes across as not giving a shit, his level of play has picked up the last two seasons. He's an RFA who is going to get $4, $5 mil per year, and they are loaded with young centers after all of their trades, so I am sure they are listening to offers. If it is a true rebuild, they'll have Zibanejad for their first line and they should give Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil each a full season to show what they have. If they keep Hayes and don't put him on the wing (and they really shouldn't), that leaves them with Ryan Spooner and Vladimir Namestnikov without spots. Not to mention Vinny Lettieri, who got NHL time last year and plays with a chip on his shoulder, Boo Nieves, who has gotten a few cups of coffee, and Brett Howden one of their trade deadline guys, who is supposed to be NHL ready. I am really not sure what they are doing. Last year they went into the season with 2 1/2 centers. Now they have way too many. Namestnikov started out last season playing on a line with Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov. Then the Rangers get him as part of their dumping of players at the trade deadline. ... and he finished the season on the Rangers fourth line with Cody McLeod as one of his wings half the nights. They had thrown in the towel on the season, and they didn't even seem interested in using the games to see exactly how good he is or isn't. Mats Zuccarello is the other player it will be interesting to see what they do with. Zuc is a free agent after the season, I believe, so if it is another season of blah, I can see him being a trade deadline chip. Maybe they keep him for now, and put a C on his jersey? He's respected by other players and he is a fan favorite. Ms. Ragu would take that one hard, if he goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted