1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He didn't have a problem playing Kuznetsov. He handled Burakovsky and Vrana perfectly. I think it is a b.s. argument against him. If THIS team has two more runs in it, why not pay the man who has already led it on a pretty good run. Win another Cup in the next 2-3 years and your investment in him pays for itself.

The more I think about this, the more upset I get. I'm starting to believe the Caps never intended to negotiate in good faith. They knew he'd come in high, they'd say no and then they could say hey, he quit.

They've wanted to jam Reirden down our throats for a while now and they have their chance. Good call. Turn over a championship car to a rookie driver.

Beef03 and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can see that argument as well. I'm torn on the whole thing, to be honest.

Moderator1 likes this.
  3. Moderator1

I'm getting a Stanley Cup AND a Caps logo tattooed on my ass (so are you) so I'll always be a fan. But this one just doesn't sit well. Despite all the bullshit swirling around him, Trotz guided that team to THE STANLEY CUP. Unless he's asking for $10 million a year, you bring him back. If he wanted 5/25, you do it. Sorry if that delays King Todd's ascension to a throne he hasn't earned.

I keep hoping this will get worked out, knowing how foolish I am for even thinking that.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Change of heart, apparently? ;)

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Am I not allowed to emotionally blow up after my team--with its history of choking--loses its first two playoff games at home in overtime? I'll own that brief bit of irrationality. :)

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not just THE STANLEY CUP, but the franchise’s FIRST EVER, LONG-AWAITED STANLEY CUP.

It’s like letting Joe Gibbs go. Fuck that, pay the man.

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

There it is.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My next prediction, if the Islanders do close on Trotz (actually either way): Philipp Grubauer is going to be the new starting goalie for the Isles via a trade.

At least, I have read that rumor in two different places now.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Hey Caps, you should have paid the man his money

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wonder what the return is? Love Grubi, but he's a luxury the Caps can't afford. Copley is ready to handle a 10-15 game load next year behind Holtby.

11. Moderator1

Samsonov (I think that's his name) is likely to be backup next year.

If the Isles have a really good 2nd pair D man, that would be a good swap.

That's a very reasonable deal for a veteran coach who just won the Cup. I'm still in shock the Caps wouldn't do that. A reasonable ask and they said no - clearly they didn't want him back.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the plan is for Samsonov to start in Hershey next year and for Copley to back up in Washington. They want Samsonov playing starters' minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted