1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dunno. That franchise is a mess, but Lamoriello does bring a sense of stability with him. When he fired Doug Weight, he said, "“We’re going to get the best coach available.” And there had already been Trotz speculation -- the NY Post threw Trotz's name out there last week when Weight got the heave-ho. I don't know anything, so this is all speculative. But Trotz stepped down over money (and respect). It wouldn't be too surprising if he had his next gig already lined up before walking. And there is a job open with a very aggressive GM ready to hire someone.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Could happen, but I’d be shocked if Lamoriello shelled out as much as he’d have to pay Trotz. Other than Pat Burns, he’s never really hired a big name behind the bench (he did not hire Babcock). Unless you count Lou himself, twice.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In the ultimate F You - Pittsburgh starts slowly and then hires Trotz. Who is reunited with John Carlson after the Pens pay a bunch to sign him.

I think I'll go throw up now.

I figured this could happen. I had hoped it would not. I like the guy and I think he did one hell of a job - not just this year but over four years. This year, he was brilliant.

4. Caps fans get to have their cake and eat it too, apparently.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Has the desperation and poor execution of Chiarelli written all over it. Though I can think of no organization more affected by the Lamoriell0 hiring on the Island than the Oilers. I mean without Snow there, who is Chia going to call when he needs to make another poor trade?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, we know what side Ottawa management is taking. Senators just traded Mike Hoffman to San Jose for Mikkel Boedker.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And San Jose just sent him to Florida along with the 7th round pick. San Jo getting three draft picks back

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Florida lets Seattle take him in the next expansion draft.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's now hockey's version of a hot potato.

Trotz was in Newark this morning, presumably on his way to meet with the Islanders

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read that Trotz and Lamoriello are already talking. But the thing I saw said that Lamoriello has spoken to a bunch of other candidates already. It will be a matter of whether they are on the same page.

It also said that if Trotz gets a 5 year deal for $4 to $5 mil a year, he'll make more than all of the Islanders coaches combined in the 24 years since Al Arbour.

Draft saved Draft deleted