1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Rangers gave Brady Skjei 6 years, $31.5 million yesterday for an AAV of $5.25 mil. So no arbitration and he's locked up. I am pretty happy with that. He had a slight slump in his sophomore season, but the whole team was a mess of instability and uncertainty last year, and I thought he held his own for the most part. I really like him. He has speed, carries the puck out of the zone well, shields things with his body, which is lanky, and he is decent defensively. Next up will be Kevin Hayes. It will be interesting to see what they do with that one. I have been reading stuff suggesting just a one year deal. I think they should either commit or try to find a buyer. There was supposedly a lot of interest in him prior to free agency, so they may have screwed that one up.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Jeff Skinner did not have the market Don Waddell and Tom Dundon thought he did.

Just ended up with Pu. And three draft picks, none of them first-rounders.

Wonder if the market for Justin Faulk caps out at a broken skate sharpener and a used puck bag?

Do I hear 10 consecutive seasons without postseason hockey in Raleigh?

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

And his name was used in one of the funnier sports-related SNL sketches in recent memory.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hmm. That could be crossposted into the “More Cuts at ESPN” thread.

6. Jake from State Farm

My favorite Gordie story:
    Mark Howe recalled one time in the WHA when some guy had picked on Marty
    He went on into the play and when he turned around, he saw the guy lying on the ice and Gordie picking him up
    With the fingers of his glove
    By his nostrils

7. Jake from State Farm

So VGK basically gave up two first, two seconds and a third for Pacioretty but he’ll look good next to Statsny.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Senators are going to be brutally bad this year.

The Western Conference will remain a bloodbath and the Stanley Cup champ will come out of the Metro Division again.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a disgraceful deal for the Senators. Unbelievable.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Do you believe Montreal got more for Pacioretty than Ottawa got for Karlsson?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes

Draft saved Draft deleted