1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mark Davis seems to be into opposite day compared with his father. Except for overhead projectors.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Double entendre from Yahoo! Sports? I know it's a common term for this day after the season ends and coaches often lose their jobs. But as a headline writer -- and knowing the demographic makeup of who lost their jobs -- I would have given any such mention a wide berth. It looks like you're making a tongue-in-cheek dig. If you don't realize that, you shouldn't be writing headlines.

upload_2018-12-31_15-58-20.png

UPDATE: And two minutes later, it's been replaced

upload_2018-12-31_16-4-52.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I saw enough of Williams yesterday to want part of him as a head coach. From challenges to clock management, no thanks.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Almost doesn't count. The Steelers were the champions of almost this season, which is exactly why they aren't in the playoffs.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Imagine the reaction if the Steelers fired Tomlin, too. It won't happen, mostly because the Rooney family prefers patience, but it probably should. His teams are incredibly undisciplined, play down to lousy competition far too often and he makes some awful decisions in big moments. This isn't a one-season issue. Those things have been going on for years. This time, it cost them a playoff berth.

That said, the guy has been to two Super Bowls and won one and he has never had a losing record, so the backlash would probably be ugly if he was let go.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Starting with 1999, NFL teams have made 22 hires of black coaches. Of them, five have been fired after one year.
    In that span, teams have made 115 hires of white coaches. Of those coaches, six have been whacked after one year.
    In other words, black coaches have represented 16.7% of all hires but 45% of one-year executions.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Future of black NFL coaches a concern after round of firings

Because Marvin Lewis wasn’t given a fair chance? Because Hue Jackson was retained after total and objective failure.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wilks got screwed in Arizona. I’m surprised the Cardinals pulled the guillotine that quickly. Their season tickets must have been waaaaay down to feel the need to do something this drastic.

Guys like Vance Joseph don’t help themselves when they don’t appear to have any clue on down/distance/time situations at the end of games.

I often felt Mike McCarthy was just as clueless but he had Aaron Rodgers to cover up years of mistakes. That’s white privilege at its best!

Here’s another angle to ponder. Whenever I hear someone on a podcast say, “Tomlin’s teams play up and down to the competition” or “I just don’t trust that Anthony Lynn in the playoffs”, it can come across a lot like Al Campanis.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't make a terribly compelling case to keep Wilks, but firing him while GM Steve Keim still has a job is absolutely inexcusable.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Of the coaches let go today, I think after McCarthy - Todd Bowles might be the first one back. He had a crap roster to work with in New York and seemed to overperform the last few years - not many coaches would have done better than 24 wins with that roster over four years. Thought Arizona was primed to take him back last year but was surprised that the Jets kept him, so they hired Wilks. Joseph and Gase will need to revive a moribund QBs career to get another shot. Lewis will be a great DC for one of the hotshot OCs who get hired every year (see Wade Phillips). Jackson and Koetter won't be wearing the big headset again.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That’s also how the Cowboys got Jason Garrett.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If McCarthy has white privilege, what was Marvin Lewis’ excuse? Bengals privilege. Marty Schottenheimer had 5 playoff wins. He had 1 losing season in KC after 9 straight winning seasons.
    No one was fired because they were black and no one was treated worse because of that. The attempt to make it appear that race had anything to do with firings on,y hi lights the patronizing attitude towards black coaches. And remember, because of the Rooney Rule race absolutely had a part in their getting the job. Because it was required that there be affirmative action interviews.
    Ray Handley is still looking for a second chance, where’s his white privilege?

Draft saved Draft deleted