1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It’s bad when he’s willing to come back and work for the Glazers but I imagine Arians doesn’t see this as more than a 3 year gig.

At least it got him off CBS. He was awful.

Webster and sgreenwell like this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

About 40 hours later than I envisioned.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I may be a bit behind the times, but 'INSIDE linebackers coach'? So a single linebackers coach can't handle it by himself anymore?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think it is that unusual. I read somewhere that the Steelers actually have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the league and they have an inside linebackers coach.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Steelers just fired Joey Porter as the outside linebackers coach so there must be an inside linebackers coach also.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In a 3-4 scheme, the job of an ILB and an OLB are entirely different.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I knew they had one. Jerry Olsavsky is their inside linebackers coach. Keith Butler was the linebackers coach from 2003 to 2014. He was focusing on the outside linebackers by the time they promoted him to defensive coordinator in 2015.

The odd thing is they won't be replacing Porter. In addition to being the defensive coordinator, Butler is going to be the outside linebackers coach in 2019. Because when you have a defense that constantly struggles with communication breakdowns and consistently blows leads late in games, what you need to do is put more on the defensive coordinator's plate.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Dallas Cowboys promoted Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator and named Jon Kitna as the club’s quarterbacks coach on Thursday. Moore replaces Scott Linehan, who was the team’s offensive coordinator from 2015-18 after joining the club in 2014 as passing game coordinator. Kitna takes over the quarterbacks from Moore, who coached the position in 2018 after his six-year playing career.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they can still get assistants in Dallas. You know Garrett is bullet-proof to Jones, but at the same time doesn't have any juice to protect an assistant's job.

Draft saved Draft deleted