1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

No. His Rams tenure destroyed whatever was left of his reputation.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

what makes adam gase a bad fit for the dolphins a week ago, and a good fit for the jets today?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's proven to be shitty and he's white, which are both positives, but he's over 40 so he's out.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

More surprised about Jack Del Rio. His team won 12 games two years ago. And three total playoff appearances. How many coaches in the league can say that?

I don't totally agree with Hansen's take, in the "next coaches up" articles earlier this year, before anyone was whacked, Bienemy was the only non-white coach mentioned and he's in his first year as an OC. Not that white coaches have gotten gigs after a year or less as an OC.

Though you do wonder why everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay rather than the next Anthony Lynn. (and yes, I realize teams are looking for a coach to elevate the play of their QB, something Lynn didn't really have to do with Rivers. )

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed on Del Rio. And take a look at the Raiders ... Del Rio did nothing wrong, other than be saddled with an owner who got an itch to try out Jon Gruden again.

And keep in mind that Del Rio had Jacksonville going places until they got an itchy trigger finger far too fast.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone can trust a quarterback to Fisher. Goff had one of the worse rookie seasons ever and look ed like a total bust. When McVay took over he becomes a star.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how happy I'd have been if the Bengals had went from Marvin Lewis to Jeff Fisher.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you're a Cardinals player, and your franchise hired a guy who couldn't even win college football games, what confidence would you have in him?

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'd probably consider he now gets to draft and pay players instead of trying to get talent to come to Lubbock, Texas — a place my friend once described as "Not quite hell, but you can see the steam emanating from it there."

On the other hand, I'd be worried my coach might steal my girlfriend, which is problematic.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd wait and see who he gets to come coach for him. That's usually the best sign of a good hire. If he's able to pull some coaches who currently have jobs (and not just those recently jettisoned) - it's a good sign. If he's bringing any of his defensive staff from T Tech? Not so much.
    Kingsbury started as a QC assistant - coOC and QB coach for two years, OC for one - then HC at TTech. Four years. Crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted