1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Buh-bye Indiana.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize they are in ownership limbo and lack cap space, but given that they aren't likely to have another window like this for a while with the Warriors lineup turnover and other unknown pieces, the Trailblazers should absolutely go all in and try to attract a top FA. I realize the Lakers are the Lakers, but I think Davis might give Portland a second look - especially if they make the conference finals.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Blazers are already wildly over the cap next season. They have the fifth highest payroll in the league. That ain't happening.

Plus, not for nothing, they're the Trailblazers. Free agents don't sign there. The biggest free agent signing of the last 25 years is arguably Kenny Anderson and that was 23 years ago.

I like the Blazers but they're always going to be stuck in NBA purgatory. They can't get free agents, and if they get a top draft pick they'll use it on a multiple amputee.

4. DanOregon

It is stunning how over the cap they are with just Lillard and McCollum as max-type guys. They just seem like a team that could attract a player who just wanted to hoop and not deal with nonsense. Maybe even a solid vet just hoping for a ring.

5. PCLoadLetter

Yeah, but they've been pretty dumb with some other contracts. They've got four other guys making more than ten million a year and only one of them averages more than 10 points a game. They're on the hook for $11 million for Meyers Leonard next year. WTF?

They may be semi-appealing for a vet, but they can really only offer the exceptions... and so can teams like the Warriors. If someone's going to sign for less money to get a shot at a ring they'll probably have better options than Portland.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is the team going to be sold by the estate of Paul Allen? Though I find it difficult to foresee any scenario where ownership would be willing to go over the cap as frequently as Allen did.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Plus, Davis is not actually a free agent until after next year. So forgetting that Davis is not going from one second tier team to another, he's not actually going to sign this summer. He'll get traded, likely to anywhere but LA just because New Orleans is going to keep giving the finger to both the Lakers and Davis for this whole debacle. From there, we'll see. Does LA actually blow out its max contacts this of season and Davis can't sign (or does he sign there after Durant and Klay both take a hard pass art playing with LeBron and there is max deal room)? Does Davis land in Boston, realize he really likes the team and the fact they can win much sooner than LA? Does a Durant-less Golden State entice Davis to come over after the Warriors lose in the second round of next year's playoffs? Knicks? Clippers? Anyone but Portland? All that to say you're asking a ridiculous question a year too early.

8. PCLoadLetter

Couple of things there...

David Griffin is the new boss in New Orleans and he knows what he's doing. He'll get the best deal he can, and if it's Los Angeles he'll take it. It was a great hire for the Pelicans.

Also, Golden State can't really replace Durant. It's not like his salary is suddenly available -- they're wildly over the cap. They'll basically be looking for wing players who'll take the minimum or close to it. There's a very real chance they lose Durant and Cousins without much ability to replace them.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Damn, then the Warriors would only be down to 2 all stars.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is interesting to me what a high level Draymond and Iguodala still play at. They are still very good basketball players.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Pels' gain with David Griffin is every NBA SiriusXM listener's loss...his insights on his regular appearances are fascinating. The detail he provides about how trades work in particular is super interesting.

12. DanOregon

My original point was that the Blazer are closer to the Bucks than people understand. I don't expect Durant or Davis to sacrifice a dollar wherever they end up - but if you want to avoid the madness of Dolan or being second fiddle to LeBron...

Draft saved Draft deleted