1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Lebron's Team just dicked around for a good three quarters and once they decided to play it was a blowout.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This thing was in the rafters.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The NBA is beyond unwatchable to me, I grew up with Magic, Bird, MJ, et al. How is it so popular now, with all the 3s and lack of well-rounded game? Asking for me.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I grew up with the Showtime Lakers. I was 12 when Magic joined the Lakers, so that era is the period I grew up on.

No clue what you're talking about with the "lack of well-rounded game." Players today are amazing. I don't know that the game has ever been better.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Watched with some mid 20 guys, the preponderance of 3s was stultifying. They agreed.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet there's a market for an alternate basketball league - AAF style in the summer - with 11 foot baskets. I'd love to see the NBA players experiment with it, but that will never happen. I also think there are more good basketball players not in the NBA than good football players not in the NFL.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

The NBA is as good or better than it has ever been. The days of boring iso ball are for the most part over. If you really know and enjoy basketball they run some really good sets and the skill level of the players is at an all time high. When I hear people say the NBA is unwatchable I assume they either haven't watched it in years or just don't know the game.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are a lot of 3s. Good teams make them. Bad teams take too many and miss.

I agree with the second part -- there are plenty of talented guys outside the NBA -- but 11 foot hoops would be an endless 3-point exhibition. (And there's no market for an alternative league in any sport, as the AAF will quickly discover.)

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Are you talking about just the All-Star Game? Or games in general?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, no threes - or move it back.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Been watching since late 60s; it’s unbelievable shooting and ball movement now. Magic Showtime in transition was fun but when not in transition, it was post Kareem or Worthy and stand around. There was no weak side cutting. Same with Bird, Parish or McHale or Bird on low block and stand. Jordan triangle years same, only won when Cartwright gave some low post presence or even Longley.
    Yes D is different with no hamdchecking but Zone is allowed now. It’s a beautiful game to watch now. (Except Harden/Russ iso ball)

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Athletes make play styles, not the other way around. Should 25-year old Kareem drop into the lap of some current NBA team by magic, you can bet your ass its offense would start with him in the low post. Same with McHale. Where else would you put them?

Draft saved Draft deleted