1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the early days, he was, or at least tried to project that he was.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He probably was until the practice after the Memorial Day Massacre.

But to Riles credit, he could blend into the mentality of the team. The real Riley was the guy that coached the Knicks and the Heat.

3. Michael_ Gee

I was at both the Memorial Day and Mother's Day (Celts 121-Sixers 81) Massacres. In both, the massacred team won the series. Something to think about when reading the inevitable straight-line conclusion post-game pieces written during every playoff series.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Tweener likes this.
  4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That 82 Celtics-76ers series was strange. Ultra competitive rivals but only two close games and only one that came down to the final possessions. I remember settling down to watch Game 7 on my friend's dish and we were expecting a few brawls among other things and then Andrew Toney happened.

5. Michael_ Gee

It took a year (and getting swept by the Bucks) but I think that game started Red Auerbach thinking he needed DJ, or a player like him.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Toney dubbed The Boston Strangler is one of my favorite nicknames.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

It was a good one. It was a privilege to be based in Boston and cover the NBA in the '80s.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Shaq and Kenny are shucking and jiving at the at the all-star show prior to the dunk contest.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dude broke the plane!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never ceases to amaze me how the slam dunk contest gets more unwatchable as time goes by.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not nearly as good as it was years ago... but Diallo jumping over Shaq was pretty impressive.

Felt bad for dude with the plane. He clearly thought that was a showstopper. He finished below the guy who missed his first dunk.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

That was actually impressive. Shaq bent forward though.

Draft saved Draft deleted