1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

People really need to stop citing Forbes valuations. They're indicative of n0thing.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the profit of an NBA franchise is on a yearly basis? Team owners that own their arena can charge an exhorbanant rent to move the money from one pocket to another to deliberately lower the profit of the franchise and shifting it to a different corporation.
    The anticipated capital gain of the sale of a franchise is merely theoretical, unrealized gain is meaningless.

Does the GSW realize a $200,000,000.00 profit yearly? That’s only 5% of the purported value. Is that a reasonable annual ROI?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure you double the salary cap and that's the owner's share - and their expenses are minimal. It isn't like the Warriors need account managers to sell tickets or solicit sponorships at this point. Your travel costs aren't too bad. The NBA salary cap is more than half of what the NFL's is, with fewer costs and a quarter of the players requiring unis, medical treatment etc.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How do you figure their expenses are minimal? I’m sure they have a sales and marketing team, travel, travel, hotels, first class everything.

This does not mean I am anything but pro player but thinking the expenses are minimal seems wrong to me.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The cap for the NBA is $100 mil - so the owners take of that is around the same. Partner with a local hospital and your medical expenses are minimal, travel party is 20-25 and I imagine sponsorships help cut travel costs down and nobody in sales and marketing is making over a few hundred grand. Outside of player contracts, it is very difficult to spend that much when many employees will work for a below market rate to say they work for an NBA team.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Saw odds today listing Jason Kidd as the favourite to replace Luke Walton

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hmm. Not sure I see that, but I don't really see any other clear choices.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What about Ty Lue? Seriously.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think they could do worse. He generally doesn't get enough credit for the job he did in Cleveland.

I'm curious whether Lue wants the gig. He had to take a leave in Cleveland because the stress was causing serious health problems. Somehow I don't think being coach of the Lakers is going to be better for that.

TigerVols and Tweener like this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

He was second

TigerVols likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Simmons brought him up as the guy management / LeBron wanted, and like him, I had no fucking clue why he would be considered a hot name. The Bucks haven't exactly turned over the roster since he left, and they're on pace for like 20 more wins, and things ended pretty badly between him and the Nets.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

THIS was called a goaltend last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted