1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why do you watch basketball? Assuming you do, which is a big assumption given your posts.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So next year is LeBron’s last gasp?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No. It would still count against the cap. They're already way above the cap so even if he leaves it does very little to help them sign anyone else.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think there's about a 90% chance Kyrie is going to Brooklyn.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

So I had this debate with co-worker Nick Kypreos during the Stanley Cup Final: if Leonard leaves, does Toronto retire his number anyway? I say yes.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They haven't retired any yet - understandable why Carter and Bosh might not end up in the rafters - so maybe? Obviously if he stays for a couple of years, its a no-brainer, but if he's truly one-and-done with them I don't think they do it unless its like, 2075 and they still only have one championship.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hell no. That’s embarrassing.

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My old Herald colleague Steve Bulpett wrote today that Irving is going to the Nets. Steve's sources are many and gold-plated within the NBA.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That's been the word for about a week now, yeah. I wonder if they've lined someone up to go with him, because an Irving-Russell combination doesn't make much sense.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I hate agreeing with Kypreos over you, but I don’t think so. Or at least not due to fan pressure. If he leaves the fans turn on him real quick, like they’ve turned on everybody else.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

They are never turning on this guy. Even if he walks. He wasn't telling opponents plays, like Carter was. He is God forever.

He worked hard and won. Never lied to them, never gave anything less than his best.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I can get behind this. He never said publicly that he’d stay, like Kyrie did in Boston, and he delivered the city its first major sports championship in over 25 years, if I’m not mistaken. It would be the most legendary one season stint with a franchise in NBA history.

Retiring his number after one season might sound absurd to some, and I get it, but it’s no more absurd than Michael Jordan being the first to have his number retired by the Miami Heat.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted