1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Every time I watch a game with Breen, Jackson and Van Gundy, I end up screaming. This is the NBA's lead broadcast team? Marv may have lost a couple of MPH on his fastball, but he's still better than ABC/ESPNs clown act. I'd call them the Three Stooges, but that would be insulting to the Stooges.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mark Jones is miles ahead of Breen.

That is a terrible A team for the NBA.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I think Breen is in a situation similar to Nantz's when he was with Phil Simms. He's just not with guys who make him raise his game or bring out the best in him.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Marv has lost his fastball, his curve and his slider. He has a knuckleball that barely reaches the plate.

Seriously, Marv cannot even follow the action. He doesn't even know when a foul has been called. He's about 5 years past done.

Tweener likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Word for word.

Although Mark made me laugh last night when after he mentioned he has three kids born in December, Van Gundy (welcome back!) said, "you needed better family planning" to which he hillariously replied, "Blame the All-Star Break!").

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Ws fan its hard to get Jackson's preacher voice out of my head (he'll always be a hypocrite to me; found to having an affair with a hooker); and then whenever he opens his mouth it still sounds so condescending no wonder guys tuned him out.
    Burke is a true lover of hoops.

How about the NBA start going to guys just retired who seem like they know the game and have fun (like Romo or Whitten in NFL; Whitten's better than Gruden)? Don't watch them much but Billups and Pierce seem to have fun, how about them and Beadle on a game? Or Jalen Rose?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Whitten sucks donkey balls. Finding Romo was the equivalent of hitting a hole-in-one. I think Chris Webber is fantastic on basketball but I seem to be in the minority. Bill Walton is killing it on ESPN college games with Dave pasch. It must be harder than it looks.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How many freaking arenas (arenae?) do they need down there?

9. PCLoadLetter

They're not building a new one. They're renovating the existing one, which is right in downtown Phoenix.

It could certainly be improved, and it sounds like a lot of the infrastructure is in need of an upgrade. But good luck convincing people that taxpayers need to pay $150 million in upgrades for an owner who has driven the franchise into the ground while the value of his investment has tripled.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's 26 years old and has already had $70 mil in renovations since it was built for $90 mil.

11. PCLoadLetter

...and that makes it one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.

The vast majority of the money is behind the scenes stuff -- air conditioning, etc. It's not an outrageous thing that a 26 year old arena needs extensive refurbishment -- it's strictly a question of who should pay for it.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't they also want to lure the Coyotes back downtown? IIRC hockey sightlines are terrible at the current arena.

Draft saved Draft deleted