1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Badly if they did it before the MRI.

HanSenSE and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was the MRI last night?

I am trying to figure out why Durant was hellbent on getting out of the arena last night when his team was fighting for their lives.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hes such an intense competitor and team oriented guy that he, literally, couldn't stand to watch them.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've heard it said that the torn achilles rolls up like a window shade...sad to see that description is accurate:

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per the newser last night, it was to take place today, presumably in Oakland.

EDIT: Per teh Twitterez, it will be done in New York. Maybe the Daily News can stream the imaging?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not to defend Toronto fans, but it's not like Durant crashed to the floor in writhing pain, grabbing his leg and the whole joint leapt to its feet to cheer his agony. I think a lot of people may not have realized initially how injured he was. The look on his face while he sat on the floor said disgust more than pain and I honestly it would be a scenario where they worked on him in the locker room and he came back out a quarter later.

7. poindexter

BUT SOME GUY WAVED BYE BYE!!!

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That video is seriously gross.

NOT TO COMPARE MYSELF TO AN ELITE PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE IN ANY WAY... but the Durant thing really bothers me because of my own experience. A few years ago, I had a pain in my groin for weeks. Like, a knot, I guess. It wasn't agony, but I could feel it pretty clearly. I could take my finger and point at a very specific place where something was amiss, the way Durant was obviously bothered by a place below his calf. I pushed through it, mostly, but I was also careful. Then one night I went to play footy. A big fat guy on our team announced that he had to play goal that night—where I always played—because he had some injury and couldn't run. So I played out and ran instead. And then suddenly, when I literally jogging, just to retrieve a ball that had gone out of bounds for a throw-in, my groin snapped, right in the spot where I had felt pain for weeks. It was a disgusting feeling. Again, not agony. Just like a piano wire snapping. I almost puked. My leg was lost to me. It took me a year to recover, to play again. Every now and then that same spot will ache a little, and I'll be fucking terrified that it's going to go again.

Durant should never have come back. That shiver in his leg in that video is the first appearance of a ghost that will haunt him forever.

9. poindexter

He played, what five minutes before he came out, right? What did he do upon leaving the game? Took his shoes off and they immediately put like five pounds of ice on his heel.

This injury could not have been a surprise. You let me know when athletes get ice on an injured spot five minutes into the game.

10. typefitter

Totally agree. I don't know how much Durant responded to the allegations that he had no heart to play and demanded to go in. But if the team pushed him before he was ready, someone should probably get sued. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the GM's tearful presser—which seemed a little orchestrated and acted, if I'm being honest—was an early attempt to save the Warriors from getting absolutely shellacked in one court or another.

Does anybody know whether an athlete could sue a team here? I have no idea.

11. poindexter

why sue? He can take his GS player option for $31.5 million.

12. typefitter

Because he might never be the same player? I wonder if his leaving the arena early last night was his way of saying FUCK YOU to the Warriors front office.

Draft saved Draft deleted