1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Russell’s Celtics are the greatest unified dynasty of any pro sport. By that I mean there’s a common thread throughout the dynasty, Red and Russell.
    Wooden’s UCLA has a common thread and that might be more difficult to achieve than the Celtics. If Shaq kept in shape. If Jordan didn’t quit, if Kobe wasn’t a bitch, they had a chance to get close to the Celtics.
    The Yankees did it longer, without a common thread other than money. 1923-1964. They are the greatest of the dynasties. Followed by the Montreal Canadians. Then UCLA, then the Celtics.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why compare eras? They are vastly different.

Many point to the concentration of talent, that future eras are "watered down" because there are more teams. Well guess what? There are vastly more players competing and a greatly expanded pool of players. Were the Celtics competing against the greatest athletes from Africa, Asia, Europe, Scandinavia?

Russell's Celtics were the most dominant of that era. In what other area do we accept best of 8 is better than best of 24? 30? I'm not advocating one way or the other but just pointing out other factors to consider.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Reading that he may have a rib injury and that explains a lot.

What it doesn’t explain is why Portland went into YMCA noonball mode in second half of Game 3. They looked dead out there after halftime.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And why is a guy with separated ribs who looks absolutely awful leading the team in minutes?

Fun stat: in 40 minutes, Lillard was -23. McCollum played 38 minutes and was -6.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At times that's not good enough for the folks at the WWL. They have their folks they like to fawn over excessively (see also: Brett Farve, Tom Brady). Even in their coverage of the WCF. There are still some in Bristol wondering how the Warriors are winning without Durant.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I had LeBron, Oscar, West and Wilt on my team I'd like my fucking chances in every game.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. heyabbott

#metoo

But Jabbar Russell Jordan Magic are not only every bit as good, but are demonstrably better as winners. And if and when looking at diving down into the fine points that separate players, that’s the tie breaker.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Unless I had Russell, Jordan, Curry and Magic.

9. heyabbott

It depends on the rules. Take away the 3 and allow hand checking and Jabber is worth more than Curry.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Funny how reputations change. Kareem in the late '70s was seen as an underachiever. Then Magic came along. It is true Kareem never won a title without Magic or Oscar. Also true Jordan was once seen as an underachiever (more accurately as a great scorer who wasn't "a winner") until Scottie Pippen came along. Almost as if it's a team sport or something.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jabbar was the most dominant player I've seen in my 50+ yrs. He could score and then be absolutely dominant in the paint. I love this tidbit, the secret to his nimbleness was he took ballet lessons when he was a kid. Yeah, he could defend to the 3 pt line and no one would shoot over him, not even Curry

nafselon likes this.
  12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

We're just basically twiddling our thumbs until Giannis tries to break the Warriors code right?

Draft saved Draft deleted