1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the Cavaliers and Bucks -- and hell, even the Spurs and Warriors -- are showing that if you use those high draft picks well and find smart ways to scout talent then you can turn perennial losers and mediocre teams into winners.
    One of the overlooked NBA stats of the past decade is the number of "new" championship teams that have emerged. From 1980-2010 five teams (Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Pistons and Spurs) won 27 of 31 championships. From 2011-18, five teams won eight championships, even factoring in the Warriors dynasty.
    You've also had the Cavs and Warriors who were largely irrelevent for 40 years before 2015, the Mavs winning a title after being in the middle of the pack for a long time, the Heat's dynasty, and the Thunder sneaking in a Finals appearance. Now you've got the Bucks on the rise, the Sixers and Raptors not far behind, and a couple of teams in the West waiting in the wings if the Warriors slip a notch. I know a few of those teams had some Finals appearances and even a title (in the case of the Heat) before 2010, but it's still a hell of a lot better than the Celtics-Lakers-led circle jerk that dominated the league for so long. The NBA hasn't had this much parity since the 70s. It's been fun to see some new money come along for a change.

Iron_chet and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Lakers have moved up in the lottery. If they get Zion ....

3. MileHigh

Wow. Three teams have moved up into the top four. Phoenix drops to No. 6.

4. MileHigh

Knicks, Lakers, Grizzlies, Pelicans in the top four.

5. MileHigh

Wow. Lakers and New York are out.

It's New Orleans.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I guess Anthony Davis is staying put

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pelicans, huh? Well, that's ... boring.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maybe the local paper will hire someone to cover games home and away [/crossthread].

Baron Scicluna, Tweener and Batman like this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good job nba. I can hear Stephen A Smiths vagina dry out from my living room

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Is Zion going to add much more than Randle? I know Zion is a great talent but does he make AD/Jrue much better? BTW just told buddy that AD is a great talent but he's classic case of buying high. He's at his peak (and a great peak) but he's had durability issues. Plus when is the last time that a great player, one who was at his peak, changed teams and won? Abdul-Jabbar and Shaq?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So close to the promised land of Zion. Really, the story of the Knicks fans like me.

Draft saved Draft deleted