1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Off-Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know it happens every year, but it is amazing at the number of underclassmen who declare and never get taken. It looks like the number this year is over 80

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hehe.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always forget the teams that draft in the top half even exist.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The only thing Doncic and Darko have in common is they’re both European. The end.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Also Robert Traylor for Dirk. Just saying.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But here's the thing, though. Putting the talent factor aside for a moment, if there's no deal, then the Hawks screwed themselves by not taking the player they actually wanted.

If the teams were that confident the Grizzlies weren't taking Young, just let the two teams swap the picks and give the Hawks the extra No. 1, and let Dallas pick Doncic at 3.

It seems it's six to one, half a dozen the other. I just think the NFL way is better because we're not seeing guys putting on a hat and talking about how excited they are to be talking about Team X and then in a half hour, being sent to Team Y.

I mean, the Hornets and Clippers swapped 11 and 12, plus a couple No. 2s. They couldn't have done that before actually drafting the players?

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not according to NBA rules - just because of the 2pm rule.
    Why the 2pm rule exists - I'm not 100% sure and someone who covers NBA/is an NBA junkie could weigh in better than me. My random guess is because the league office has to approve all deals to make sure they're both salary cap compliant and Stepien rule compliant. And they can't or don't want to have to do it in real time during a draft. But that part I'm not sure about.
    But the answer to "why they don't just trade picks during the draft like the NFL" is "because you're not allowed to during the draft."
    The answer to "that's dumb, why does the NBA have that rule?" I'm less sure of. The above is my best guess/what I feel like I heard one time but am unsure of.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

How do you know they wanted Young without the extra enticement of Dallas' No. 1 pick next year? For all we know, the Hawks had equal or more desire for Doncic (who, after all, is the higher rated prospect), and made the deal only because Dallas offering up a first round pick pushed Young over the top.

There's nothing illogical about how this was done. The Hawks' desire for Young was contingent on Dallas' first rounder sweetening the deal. And their willingness to make a deal was contingent on Young still being available and taken at five. The League can't "let" the deal happen before the latter contingency has been met, because there is no deal yet.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thank you. A response that makes actual sense as to why the NBA does it the way they do it.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it should be '... decline to invite ...'

They would be the ones issuing the invitation, but the party receiving the invitation is the one in position to decline it.

Also, story says his options are going to back to Europe or getting invited to G League by another NBA team?
    What about the JBA?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What about the Quickee Mart?

Draft saved Draft deleted