1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Off-Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, but there's still the risk that they don't end up with Young.

2. Baron Scicluna

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Just so long as he’s not Serbian.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You don't enter that deal without a guarantee your trading partner is taking the guy you want. So they could be mighy damn sure they're getting Young.

And, if they somehow didn't, so what? Then they keep Doncic, who's a better and higher-rated prospect than Young anyways.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If history has taught us anything in basketball, try to draft the “next” guy almost never pans out.

We never got a next Magic, but Lord knows a shitton if tall points were tried.

We never got a next Jordan, Bird, Hakeem or a number of others. I would not chase the next Curry. Draft the best player.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of thought Young was in the 8 to 12 range. Like, he seemed a good fit for the Magic to me. The Hawks need everything, and Doncic fell into their lap. If there isn't any protection on the pick, maybe it's worth it, but if Doncic is good and Dennis Smith improves, and Carlisle gets the ship righted, the pick is more in the 10 to 15 range than Top 5.

Other thoughts - The Magic taking Bamba is the most Magic-y pick ever, when they already have a half-dozen centers. Speaking of centers, there seems to be consensus that they're less valuable now, and yet all the stupid teams drafting at the top went for them anyway. (That being said, I think Ayton and Bagley will be good pros, just not as good as Doncic.) Bridges to Philly is an annoyingly good pick, as a Celtics fan.

7. Baron Scicluna

Then why not just let teams swap the picks even when they're on the clock, like the NFL does?

If the Hawks are that afraid that No. 4 will take Young, then just take him at 3.

8. Baron Scicluna

Bridges was traded to Phoenix.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because they got a future number one by drafting Doncic and trading him.

People were very confident that Memphis was taking Jackson, so it was a low-risk move.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure @PCLoadLetter already answered this question for you. The deal was contingent on Young still being available and taken with the fifth pick. If he's not, then there is no deal. The league can't "let them" do something before they know for sure that they want to do it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Man, I'm not going to sit idly by while you demean Harold Miner like this...

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Grayson Allen coached by Quin Snyder makes so much sense.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted