1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Off-Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Because arguably the best player in the draft fell in your lap at 3?

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If he's the best player in the draft, why didn't he go 1 or 2? Certainly 2 to Sacramento. Maybe he is; maybe he's not. Maybe he's great; maybe he's Darko. That's what makes this so fun to look back on in 3 years. But, I like that Schlenk has a plan that's he's working to fulfill.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Cavs are going to be a dumpster fire in perpetuity from here on out no matter what. Dan Gilbert has no idea what he is doing. Might as well have one guy who puts up a nice stat line.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is something that bugs me about the NBA draft. Why do they have a team draft a player, and then trade him right away to another team?

Why not just have the teams swap picks in advance and then the second team gets to draft the guy that they want.

Instead, a guy gets drafted, goes on stage, puts on Team A's hat even though Team B already has a deal to acquire him. Seems backasswards.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Porter Jr. is either gonna make some team look brilliant by nabbing him late or all these teams look like they dodged a bullet. I don't think there's any in between

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because it's contingent on the second guy being there. The Hawks wanted Young. They can't trade the 3 to Dallas and let Dallas take Doncic because the team at number 4 could then take Young and screw them.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seems to me he's totally worth the risk at 14. Lotta healthy number 14 picks turn out to be stiffs -- might as well take a chance on a guy who could be great.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Slovenian

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why can't the Hawks just take Young at 3?

Plus, say the trade is agreed on, and the Hawks take Doncic with the eye towards moving him to Dallas, and the team at No. 4 moves in and takes Young. Then the Hawks are stuck without the guy they wanted.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hate to agree with Skip Bayless on anything, but I do wonder about Trae Young, who couldn't make a shot after the first week of February. And passing on Doncic, who looks like a beast, might also make me scratch the head.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Because this way they get Young plus another first round pick.

That's better than just Young, is it not?

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

How do trades work on NBA draft day?

Draft saved Draft deleted