1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He posted a story last night saying the university owned plane that changed course and went to Colorado Springs with Jeff Long in it was actually full of NBA scouts who left Lawrence to go to the LSU-Memphis game.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

YGBSM if the Kansas job really is deserving of this much "interest."

Following up on the Mendenhall post elsewhere - I offer my humblest "My bad" to Ray Anderson at Arizona State. I hope you can understand why America felt a "CEO" Herm Edwards overseeing current coordinators was doomed, especially after said coordinators bolted.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’ve been on Team Herm since ESPN did the story on him in camp. He seems to legitimately care about the kids he’s coaching and people in general.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That's why I'm happy that this hasn't been the disaster people thought it would be. In the current age of asshole CFB coaches it's nice to see someone that seems to enjoy being a mentor and motivator. It seems like a new idea have the assistants handle most of the on-field aspects and the head coach handle the culture and environment of the program. But is it really much different than what Clemson does? I don't know Dabo Swinney as some good X's and O's guy or much of a game-day coach, he's got an amazing staff and he done a great job of building a culture and environment that's inviting to players.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From the SI story:

Delivering Saban's weekly shipment of Little Debbie cakes?

wicked and Chef2 like this.
  6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Nope. Leavitt's contract last year at Oregon was an eye-opener - a $500K buyout unless he leaves for the K-State HC job.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Bieniemy was the offensive coordinator at CU during the Embree coaching debacle. I think it was generally thought he was in over his head as the OC in Bouder. I know Kansas City is dominating the league offensively this year but I think the ineptitude of his offenses with the Buffs will disqualify him.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

About the time it took to blow a 28 point second half lead at home against Oregon State.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

What other P5 coaches are on the brink at this point?

Louisville, Colorado (??), Kansas, Maryland (??) are all open.

Helton at USC seems like he's on borrowed time.
    Snyder at Kansas State is always a touch and go thing.
    Ash seems like a goner at Rutgers
    Fedora appears to be on his way out at UNC
    Is Lovie going to get another year at Illinois?
    Is Mason going to get another year at Vanderbilt?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mason's going to get another decade at Vanderbilt. They've really ratched down their interest in sports...which of course was never that high to begin with.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No Division I school has a national championship-winning coach in football and basketball. Currently. At the moment. For right now. :D

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fedora's status in Chapel Hill might not be so tenuous. Bubba and the Rams Club would have to cough up $12 million to send him on his way. Think they have that in the war chest after paying $20 million in fees during their attempt to keep the NCAA wolves at bay?

Draft saved Draft deleted