1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yup. And BC went into a decade-long swoon because Gene Defilippo wanted to show how big his balls were.

wicked likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There was more to it than that. DM me if curious.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was, but Defilippo made a bunch of bad moves, like canning Al Skinner for Steve Donahue. Benefit of the doubt isn’t on his side. At least he didn’t fire Jerry York.

I figured NFL teams wanted to interview Kingsbury as an OC, but really, head coach? The Jets are Jetsing and the Cardinals are Cardinalsing.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Back in '96? The 49ers wanted to hire Marriucci as OC as a "coach in waiting" since he was "hot" after leading Cal to a 6-6 record and Favre spoke highly of him. Seifert said "he doesn't have to wait" and quit.

Marriucci has one of the most putrid "coaching trees" I've ever seen. Even Dan Quinn is only 36-28.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm a USC guy and I'm glad the Trojans (might) have Kingsbury.
    But what makes him such a hot HC commodity for NFL teams?
    No. 1 on his resume is being fired as HC by his alma mater.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Won't $6.5 million in buyouts essentially fund Temple football for 2019? Certainly more than it will make through gate receipts.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He coached Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes, Case Keenum and Johnny Manziel.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Some college coaches fit better as pro coaches and vice versa. I never though Doug Marrone was anything other than a solid head coach at Syracuse - and his 25-25 record shows that. Yet he's carved out a pretty decent pro career. By comparison, Kingsbury was 35-40 at Texas Tech. Worse than Marrone, but also playing in a much tougher league than Big East 2.0.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

My god Gates is enormous, and not really in a good way

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I wonder if York's time is coming, though. After this weekend's double dip at Arizona State, it's now been almost 26 months since the Eagles have won a nonconference game (including Beanpot).

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Perhaps of interest only to our Ruskielover and me, but former SJ'er has the bad news for Georgia:

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted