1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 College Football Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I get that, but Les is 65 now. I don't know that he's interested in the x's and o's part. The man can recruit. He's smart enough now with the style the Big 12 runs now that he has to change and adapt to it.
    When Les was in Baton Rouge, no one else was running the stuff that is getting run now. 3 yards and a cloud of dust was essentially all the SEC was until Johnny Manziel came along. And who was Manziel's QB Coach/OC during his freshman year at A&M?....Kliff Kingsbury.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll bet Kansas has a better record than Kansas State next year.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Les just needed a fucking QB at LSU. The offense was fine and full of athletes. But he brought in horrible quarterbacks. And then when Shea Patterson came along they lost him to Ole Miss because Ole Miss hired his brother or something stupid.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Johnny Manziel? I think you misspelled The Ol Ball Coach.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

Oh yes when I think of the Urban Meyer era at Florida it was three yards and a cloud of dust.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And the Cam Newton era at Auburn.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Les had a few quarterbacks, or at least guys who were highly-rated coming out of high school. His problem was that he never wanted to adjust his offense to suit their talents. If he had a running QB, he tried to run the I-formation/pro-style offense and turn them into a pocket passer. If he had a classic pro-style/pocket passer type, he wanted to run a spread. He kept trying to put square pegs into round holes and never developed them based on what they could actually do.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Hal Mumme?

9. HappyCurmudgeon

When did he really try to run a spread? He had Jordan Jefferson, who was good enough to win games that LSU had a clear talent advantage in but he imploded in the BCS title game against Bama. The other QB, Jarrett Lee, imploded in the first game that season against Bama and got benched to never see the light of day again. Andrew Hatch was garbage. Ryan Perriloux had a chance but he flamed out. Mettenberger was awful his first season at LSU and better in his second season there. Then he stuck Anthony Jennings and Brandon Harris into the same offense that Andrew Hatch and Mettenberger was in.

None of them seemed to get developed. And the backs and receivers on the team any given year were among the best in the nation. But the quarterback play always seemed to be bad. Even if the QB had some natural talent, Miles was determined to make them shitty.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't remember Meyer spreading it out at UF. Good call on Spurrier. Didn't even think about that.
    And hell yes I remember Hal Mumme.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You have a bad memory. All Meyer did was spread it out. You don't remember Tebow, Percy Harvin, Chris Rainey and a bunch of other sub 4.4 guys running in every direction? I sat through a lot of those games and I won't forget that shit. You don't score 42 or more points during a seven-week stretch doing a Woody Hayes impression.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

"It's good being Chris Rainey."

Draft saved Draft deleted