1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

He'll get in with these guys

this-is-spinal-tap.jpg

Organizers will pray the drummer doesn't explode during the ceremony.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How about Phish? I personally think their music is pretty mediocre, but they have a ridiculous following. I guess you can just slough them off as inheritors of the Grateful Dead's tribe of aimless, spoiled white kids. But people swear by them. Not me. But people.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If Rolling Stone didn't write about Phish I would have no idea who they were. So they have a chance.

If Eric Church is still making records in another 20 years or so (and there is still enough rock and roll to merit a RRHoF), he's a country guy from this time who will get serious consideration.

X-Hack likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely agreed. Can't believe I forgot them.

Always seemed like a mediocre White Stripes tribute act to me, so no.

Eh.. Maybe? I think I'm just slightly ahead of the generation that gave a shit about Weezer.

Probably, but in a "look how rebellious WE are" kind of vote, because they're kind of awful.

I always liked them, but this is serious "hall of pretty good" territory.

They'll get in, but it won't be a proud day for anyone.

Doubt it. Hardly anyone heard her good stuff, people hated her popular stuff.

Also definitely should be in. Bands that were bigger outside the US don't fare well with the hall, though.

5. PCLoadLetter

"Blasphemous Rumours" doesn't hold up well for me. All of the maudlin you get from Morrissey but none of the humor.

Depeche Mode may have a larger collection of good songs, but I don't think they were great as often as JD/NO. I'll take "Love Will Tear Us Apart," "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" over anything DM did. "Touched by the Hand of God," too. Only DM songs in that league, for me, are "Shake the Disease" and "Enjoy the Silence."

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What about Alice in Chains? I know they are already eligible. Do they ever get in?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, that Morrissey has always been a laugh-riot.

"... so you go, and you stand on your own
    and you leave on your own
    and you go home, and you cry
    and you want to die."

8. PCLoadLetter

Exactly. Shania Twain just got a lifetime Achievement Award at the CMAs but would never get a second of consideration from the Rock Hall. Listen to her songs and try to ignore the vocals, though. It's indistinguishable from Def Leppard. Not saying she belongs in the hall, but she's a country artist because she's marketed that way. Same with Garth Brooks. You kinda have to be a dead country artist for the hall to consider you, though.

You know who absolutely belongs in? Glen Campbell. Huge crossover success in the early 70s, and in the 60s he was a studio guitarist on some of the rock and pop biggest hits. He even played on "Pet Sounds."

I Should Coco and Jake_Taylor like this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

That's a good one. I'm inclined to say yes, particularly as the well starts running dry. They're already eligible and haven't gotten nominated, but I'd guess they will in the next few years.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

All yes.
    And just the potential for a Gallahger Bros. brawl onstage would be wonderful.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

YOU'D BETTER BE KIDDING.

JRoyal likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Black Keys? Really?

Liz Phair has some cool songs including Fuck and Run but she's niche and not a Hall of Famer. She's like a .257 career hitter with 14 homers and 78 RBIs thru 6 seasons.

No to Weezer, and RATM too. Not sure about White Stripes though I do love Meg.

Draft saved Draft deleted