1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Agree on Radiohead and Coldplay. Not sure if Wilco will. I love them and they should, but they've flown under the radar other than being big with critics and their core fans. Never had a big hit, and it's hard to make it into the Hall if the average music fan can't name one of your songs.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Man, 90s rock is my jam, but it's hard to come up with a lot of "hall of fame" acts.

Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Beck, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine. Who am I missing?

If the door is open for country acts will they put Garth Brooks in?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honest answer? No... but if he didn't wear a hat he'd already be in.

The Hall is cool with old school country, like Johnny Cash, but not modern country. Musically there's no difference between Garth Brooks and the Eagles, but he's not getting in.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Alice in Chains.

I'd advocate for Live and Oasis, too. Throwing Copper and (What's The Story) Morning Glory are among the quintessential albums of the era.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I thought about Live, totally whiffed on Oasis and Alice In Chains. Throwing Copper is great, but I wasn't sure if they had the longevity. I wish their follow up would have been a little better.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

But should one really good album get a band in? Honestly, Throwing Copper is Live's second best album behind Mental Jewelry, but they fell off the planet after that. Oasis is kinda the same way.

If we're letting a band get in on one album, put Hootie and the Blowfish in. (Kidding. Kinda.)

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I actually agree about Mental Jewelry, but Live had two multi-platinum, top-5 albums after Throwing Copper. And two more gold albums after that. That's not exactly falling off the planet. Secret Samadhi is underwhelming, but The Distance to Here is pretty strong.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wow, those albums went multi-platinum? I'm a Live fan and didn't realize they sold that well. I'm with you. Secret Samadhi was a letdown after Copper, but The Distance to Here is solid. But I still can't see them as worthy of the Hall of Fame.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You could make an argument for Uncle Tupelo ... a band whose debut album "No Depression" literally named a genre (and fan mag). A group that influenced many "alt-country" bands, and of course split up into two really good bands (Wilco and Son Volt).

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jann Wenner will induct Springsteen in the newly created author's wing.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

White Stripes
    Black Keys
    Weezer
    Rage Against the Machine
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Dave Matthews Band
    Liz Phair
    Oasis

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

STP could get in. Dave Matthews definitely.

And Depeche Mode is still eons better than JD/NO and I say that as a fan of the latter.

This is a rare video to one of their best songs. Mesmerizing video, desperately heartbreaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted