1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's ultimately a matter of taste, but I disagree. And if I were to list the top 5 songs by all of them combined, only one would be DM.

Songbird likes this.
  2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Same argument I'd make for Iron Maiden over Judas Priest and Motorhead. Better musicians, better longevity.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tupac Shakur - not a rap guy but he will get in
    Pearl Jam - absolutely
    Journey - not a fan other than "Stone in Love" which is a great song, I say no but won't be surprised if they get in
    Depeche Mode - should probably get in but probably won't this year
    Jane's Addiction - no
    ELO - no
    Joan Baez - Jann Wenner Special, remember where ya heard it
    Bad Brains - I have listened to Bad Brains and appreciate the influence they have had but, no way
    Steppenwolf - no
    The Cars - big fan, great hitmakers in the 80s, I say yes
    Chaka Khan - no
    Chic - yes, for the great Nile Rodgers alone
    J. Geils Band - love these guys, this will be Jann Wenner Special II
    Yes - not a fan but Rush (shaddup!) opened the door for the prog bands
    The Zombies - no
    Janet Jackson - no

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No RRHoF love for Roxy Music, Warren Zevon, Motorhead, Ted Nugent (yeah, I know....)

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

maybe just declare that rock is dead and so no more inductees?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As more acts from the 1990s music era becoming eligible, it's going to be tougher and tougher for the Rock n Roll HOF to pick "worthy" inductees.

When they start nominating Limp Bizkit, Creed and Kid Rock, I'm done ...

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

4 I'd vote in:

Pearl Jam
    Journey
    Cars
    Yes

Another I think will get in:

Tupac

Three longshots that could cash:

Depeche Mode
    Joan Baez
    J Geils Band

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Things are going to get weird from here on out. How many Hall-worthy bands are waiting to become eligible now? By my count, two sure ones -- Foo Fighters and Radiohead. There are others that might make it, like Wilco, but the new bands have almost totally dried up.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

FWIW, and I know I'm old, etc., J. Giels was one of the all time live concert bands in their prime. Hurt 'em nationally in the late 60s-early 70s Few big acts wanted to let them be warmups.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

New Order over DM because New Order play real instruments.

Actually like both.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Love both but don't think they should be in HoF.
    Radiohead, Wilco and Coldplay all get in down the road.
    Eventually it all folds up from lack of interest when all male Boomers and Gen Xers are dead.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Here are three intersting aspects of their sound:

-- Mike McCready is one of the most underrated guitarists of his generation. He flows from rock guitar to blues to punk with ease. His extended live solos are ridiculous and are worth the price of a ticket alone.
    -- Vedder's voice at times serves as another instrument. See Yellow Ledbetter, which is less about the lyrics and more about amazing melodies.
    -- Matt Cameron is without a doubt one of the best drummers of the last 30 years. He transformed the band's sound when he joined. His beats drive a lot of their best new material.

I'd go on, but I don't think you really give a crap. You don't see any of these as interesting aspects of their sound because they aren't your thing. But pretending that there aren't any interesting aspects to their sound says more about your lack of appreciation for quality music than it does about Pearl Jam's sound.

Draft saved Draft deleted