1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good thing you weren't at their label in 1993 then. They would have never been signed!

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Who are you referring to?

3. Dick Whitman

Bush.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Back in the mid-1990s, when Wilco was formed and put out their first two albums, I thought Liz Phair and Jeff Tweedy were two peas in a pod. Tweedy was developing as a songwriter then, but was still a bit shaky in his live performances (like Phair was).

Obviously, Tweedy and his band have kept improving and developing musically since then, and Phair — for a variety of reasons — has not. But I own her first three albums and they're all solid. As others have noted, "Exile in Guyville" is one of the best rock albums of the 1990s, and it's held up very well.

5. CD Boogie

I don't follow. I said I liked them. Why would I not want to sign them to a record contract?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Savage Garden had a short shelf life, but a couple of quite nice singles.

7. Dick Whitman

I was trying to make a joke about the labels signing Bush (and others) because they all sounded the same.

8. Dick Whitman

Ultimately, she probably wasn't commercially successful enough to get in. But you've got to get some women in there, right? What about Hole/Courtney Love?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fiona Apple is the gold standard for women in the '90s, and her last album 2 years ago showed she's still hitting .325.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

You need to try harder :p

11. Dick Whitman

This is where I try out new material to see if it works. I'll be here all week, folks.

12. CD Boogie

She ruined her chances when she hired a druggie to kill Kurt Cobain and make it look like an overdose

Draft saved Draft deleted