1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fuck. No.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You know, she wasn't some brilliant bright light who came out of nowhere. She was a singer-songwriter.

And that Bush song is all-time good.

3. Songbird

Shit, Heather Nova didn't have as many good songs as Phair but I'd put her best one up against Phair's best.

4. Dick Whitman

You're responding to an imaginary post. :)

5. Dick Whitman

Liz Phair was a critical darling and, as you point out, a singer-songwriter who made a pretty subversive first album that is still considered one of the top 5-10 albums of that decade. Her next couple albums were pretty good, too, though she started to aim for commercial success that, essentially, would always elude her.

Bush was basically the first of a wave of "Seattle sound" imitators. There was nothing fresh or new or remotely subversive or clever about them. Grunge by numbers.

They were also way more popular than her. It's just not a good comparison, I don't think.

6. Songbird

7. Dick Whitman

And Nirvana built upon what the Pixies had done. And Pearl Jam built upon classic rock. And the Stones and Zeppelin built upon the blues. And they are all all-timers. But that's different than Bush or Creed 100 percent aping what was going on at the moment, at the behest of a record label, and essentially putting out derivative shit. It's like after "Star Wars" when there were 1,000 shitty "B" movies about space made.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. Songbird

C'mon now, don't be rippin' on Spaceballs.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No, that would take us back to the Weird Al debate.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sixteen Stone is a great album. Little Things, Comedown, Everything Zen.
    Matter of fact, I might just fly to Los Angeles, find myself asshole brother.

I went to college in the early to mid 1990s and nobody I knew listened to Liz Phair. I couldn't name one song she sings. I guess that's a blind spot, like never hearing of Pavement until a few years ago. I survived.

11. Dick Whitman

Yes, Bush was bigger commercially. That has been established. So was Savage Garden. Congratulations to them both.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Bigger commercially because their music was better, IMHO. That's just my taste. I don't equate Bush with Pearl Jam or Soundgarden or Nirvana at all. I think they have a distinct sound.

Draft saved Draft deleted