1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The "problem" with Jinder as a heel champ is that, frankly, AJ Styles is too good. It remains laughable to think a star of AJ's caliber would have to "chase" Jinder freaking Mahal. It just does.

I don't mind Jinder. But he's not even Rusev at this juncture. What's wrong with the traditional build of sticking the US title on him and letting us get used to taking him seriously? (Yeah the US title as a foreigner trope is old too, Jinder'd be better served on the show where the secondary title is the IC).

The other issue here is the rest of the card.....you've got a mess in the women's division, the two biggest stars on the show feuding over the "secondary title", another experiment in the tag division (albiet one that seems to be going much better) and an obvious plan for a debuting Nakamura.

When the whole show is compelling you can experiment with the world title...when its not....it screws up the whole depth chart.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My own theory on Jinder Mahal's push: It's WW
    Yep. My own theory on Jinder Mahal's push: This is partly WWE blowback against anyone who complains about John Cena or Roman Reigns being pushed down fans' threats at every turn.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can see Vince now: "Oh, you think I'm pushing guys you don't like down your throat? I'll show you. Just wait until you get Jinder Mahal to carry on the legacy of Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and The Rock."

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't see him winning, but it's at least gotten people talking about the match on what I think is an otherwise not-so-great show.

Then again, the swerve could be on and he walks away with the strap. Who knows? Orton is on title reign 13, so I don't see him being the one to break Flair's record. Isn't Cena one win away from doing that anyway?

5. JimmyHoward33

Two ?s) Is this finally the weekend where the Takeover is better than the main roster PPV?

2) They wont put Jinder on last right? Chicago will eat that alive....

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

For some reason I haven't been getting notifications of new posts on this thread so I was wondering why it was so damn quiet in here.

I think we all know that NXT Chicago is going to blow away anything that happens Sunday night, barring something incredibly strange (CM PUNK-esque) happening.

One thing I am hoping for though is for Roode to legit get out of the ring without suffering an injury by Itami, who has built up quite a list of people he's injured in the ring, not to mention how many times he's injured himself.

7. JimmyHoward33

Takeover was awesome. The last hour especially.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They did it. Those maniacs actually did it.
    Bruno Sammartino.
    Hulk Hogan.
    Randy Savage.
    Bret Hart.
    John Cena.
    Jinder Bleepin' Mahal.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Buddy Rogers
    Bruno Sammartino
    Superstar Billy Graham
    Bob Backlund
    Hulk Hogan
    Randy Savage
    Bret Hart
    Shawn Michaels
    Undertaker
    Steve Austin
    The Rock
    Triple H
    Chris Jericho
    John Cena
    Randy Orton
    Brock Lesnar
    Ric Flair
    CM Punk
    Jinder Mahal

What name doesn't belong on this list?

EDIT:Batman beat me to it, but my list is more comprehensive.

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was trying to make sure I was first :)

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lost in the shock of that finish was the spot where Orton almost killed one of the Singh brothers. That was a nasty-looking spot on the table, and Randy seemed to know it.

12. JimmyHoward33

List of men that were never WWE champion
    Roddy Piper
    Owen Hart
    Arn Anderson
    Jake Roberts
    Jesse Ventura
    Ted DeBiase
    Dusty Rhodes
    Matt Hardy

All inferior to Jinder Mahal.