1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jinder Mahal has a WWE championship match on a PPV, with weeks of build up. We live in a world where anything is possible.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, Slater did win a championship belt in recent memory. Kind of interesting to see that push, and now the one for Jinder Mahal, which began when he lost on the Gronk interference at WrestleMania. Nice, subtle start to that push.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We are always complaining about how the WWE "never creates stars anymore." Guess that process has to start somewhere, somehow.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Meltzer says the six month thing is a work.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, though. It works if there's some sort of buildup. Have them start earning wins against the undercard, then move them up, and build them up. Jinder hadn't won a singles match in ... years? Now he's the top contender, and we're supposed to buy that he can actually win. The story of a sudden contender works if it's a babyface jobber (like Ellsworth fluking his way into a title match), but for a heel jobber, it's just weird.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This show is insufferable ... or in terms only they can understand, repug. Finally unsubscribed halfway through listening to last week's episode.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's also weird that it feels like he actually has a chance. Orton, one of the "made men" who is pretty much bulletproof whether he's champion or not, is exactly the type of guy Mahal could beat without damaging him. Maybe one of the few championship-level guys in the company you can say that about (Cena and Jericho being two others). I don't really want to see Jinder Mahal as champion, but I have to admit I am curious to see how it plays out.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Might get some hate for this, but I don't think this looks bad at all. After all, we've been clamoring for them to do something different for a while now. If given a chance, this could work.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And, if not, he becomes the Indian Miz. Except we're already past Wrestlemania, so six years from now he'll be able to brag about main eventing Battleground 2017.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

He could be a great heel champ, but who's a compelling enough babyface to get people to invest in the chase?

The company is always setting it up like that, it's a formula that works....as long as people can get behind the babyface. At least Roman won't be chasing the title. Jinder would be a face automatically.

So, who chases Jinder all summer? Not Orton. AJ?

11. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The elevation of Jinder feels a test for the Trump era—seeing how the crowd reacts to an old school "foreigner" heel, of the kind that was standard when I started watching in the 80s.

An Iron Sheik for our time.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ask this guy how well a championship push with absolutely no buildup works:

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted