1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah this was on Prichard's podcast about Hogan/Austin---basically, if they'd done Austin everybody in 2017 would be saying "Why didn't you do Rock?" They had to pick one.

Whereas if Flair/Hogan had gone down, not one person would be sitting here asking "Why didn't they do Hogan/Sid??"

So it's gotta be WM8

Rainman likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Somewhat to what Batman said. One problem, though, is that Hogan and Flair had worked together at multiple house shows, and at MSG, so it might have been a little repetitive to have it at WM. The other problem is that you pretty much knew Hogan would win. Still, having it as a first-time match (not counting a couple of alleged early matches in the late 70s/early 80s that I don't feel like looking up) would have been huge.

Having Hogan/Austin would have been a dream match, and like with Rock, at least,there would have been some intrigue as to who would win.

Rainman likes this.
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well, shit.

4. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, terrible news. It didn't sound good when he first announced it yesterday. RIP

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

This may be a tough question to answer, but what's your favorite feud of every wrestler that is getting inducted in the Wrestling Hall of Fame next weekend?

You can pass on a wrestler if you can't think of any.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not that hard, really, for most of them. Angle was really the only one I struggled with.

Kurt Angle -- He Who Must Not Be Named
    Rock & Roll Express -- Midnight Express
    Teddy Long -- Vickie Guerrero
    DDP -- Macho Man
    Beth Phoenix -- Mickie James
    Rick Rude -- Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Rainman likes this.
  7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Angle's a tough one to pick. Although it didn't last long with Kurt as a face, his feud with Austin during the Invasion angle was my fave ... but I'm sure I'm in the minority. But it did give us this:

So many great lines from J.R.:

"Stasiak, what an idiot."
    "The Billion Dollar Princess has become the Dairy Queen!"
    "Now he's pulling out the heavy stuff ... it's homogenized!"

jpetrie18 and Rainman like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

He told the story years ago that, when he tried to drink the milk, he doused himself and his clothes. After the show, he had to rush to catch his flight and didn't have time to change, so he went on the flight smelling of milk.

I agree with most of Royal's picks, but my favorite Angle feud was with Triple H, and his near relationship with Stephanie.

Rainman likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I always liked Angle's feud with biker Undertaker, particularly when he tried to give 'Taker a Vespa as a gift.

I also thought TNA left a shit-ton on the table with an Angle-Samoa Joe feud.

Tommy_Dreamer and Rainman like this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I almost went with Austin. He had so many great feuds. I went with HWMNBN because I think their matches were better overall than Angle with anyone else.

Rainman likes this.
  11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And MC is right about Angle-Samoa Joe. That could've been sooo much more than it ever was.

Rainman likes this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

So, was Angle a better face or heel in the WWE?

Draft saved Draft deleted