1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Everything I've read says it's starting at 5 eastern, which would mean a six-hour show. Still, that's a bit much.

2. KYSportsWriter

First, Jim Cornette is announced as inducting the Rock and Roll Express into the HOF.

Now, Eric Bischoff has been announced as the one inducting DDP.

What on earth is going on here? I thought Cornette and Bischoff were black-balled?

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Actually, that was Paige courtesy of Xavier Woods.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bischoff isn't black-balled. A few months ago, he did an interview with JBL on the network, and I think he's done a couple other WWE things in the past few years.

Cornette is a bigger surprise, and while many are saying it should be very interesting to hear him give the introduction, I have a feeling he'll be rather professional since he knows it's Morton's and Gibson's moment. What it does open up though, is maybe the Midnight Express and Cornette get inducted.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't they learn anything from last year?
    A smark-filled Wrestlemania crowd, that has been there for seven hours and is ready to go home, getting a three-minute Goldberg-Lesnar minus-4 star classic as their main event, is going to be a disaster.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is Vince McMahon and the WWE we're talking here. Trips/Reigns looks like a 5-star classic compared to Goldberg/Lesnar.

Plus, I think you're being awfully generous in giving that match three minutes. (Did someone say ... three minutes?)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Apparently pointing at the Wrestlemania sign is the same as a binding contract enforceable by law. I need to start carrying one of those in my trunk for when I want something.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I still hate the match but I have to admit Miz and Maryse dressed up as Cena and Bella was pretty funny.

Altho a little part of me died when Breeze had to take Nikkis finish. Send his ass back to NXT then. What a waste.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. KYSportsWriter

[​IMG]

Rainman likes this.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Since my Xavier Woods reply got some decent amount of likes, I thought it would be a good time to ask another question.

Hogan vs. Flair at Wrestlemania VIII and Hogan vs. Austin at Wrestlemania X8. Both of these matches were supposed to happen but didn't because of backstage politics, etc. etc.

Which one would you have preferred to see, and which one would've been bigger?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering where they were in their respective careers, I think Hogan vs. Flair would've been bigger. Both were at their peaks at that time and hadn't ever had a feud. The two biggest stars of the decade, the two guys who were always compared to each other, going head to head for the first time ever on the biggest stage of all?
    That's the definition of a "dream match." Even with Hogan's in-ring limitations, it would have been remembered as one of the greatest matches, feuds, and Wrestlemania main events of all time.

I think Hogan-Austin would've gone down in history the same way Hogan-Rock did. It was a great match, an all-timer even, but for entirely different reasons. It was more of a fun passing of the torch match rather than the epic battle Hogan-Flair 10 years earlier would've been.
    So the answer to both questions is Hogan vs. Flair at Wrestlemania VIII.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

She died of injuries she suffered when her scooter was struck by a car. She was not wearing a helmet.

I can't begin to imagine what JR is feeling right now. From all I've seen, Jan Ross was almost just as beloved among the wrestlers, particularly when JR was still doing talent relations.

Draft saved Draft deleted