1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What a brilliant and hilarious man. Endlessly entertaining. I had a chance to meet him in Indianapolis many years ago, and he was a fabulously funny guy in person. RIP, sir.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

RIP Brian. Best ever. Everybody should watch the 92 Rumble match tonight

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because it was my first exposure to wrestling but I always associate Heenan with Nick Bockwinkle in the AWA. They were an absolute great heel team.

"I won't wear the weasel suit" is a throw away line that has been going on with some buddies for the better part of 35 years.

RIP Brain.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My wife had a friend who was pretty annoying. She always was having drama in her life and always needing my wife to unload her problems on, and it was taking up a lot of my wife's valuable time.

So one time, I told my wife she needed to stop always being the woman's daily sounding board. My wife objected, and I told her, "you know, a wise man once said that a friend in need is a pest. Your friend is a pest."

A short while later, my wife started to see that her friend really was super clingy and got tired of her drama.

So, thanks Bobby.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

His reaction when Piper comes out, and when the crowd pops, is incredible.

6. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, I love that moment. It was booked so well, with Flair getting his mid-match break, and then, of all people, it's Piper, who Flair was already feuding with, coming out.

Also love the brief moment when Piper helps Flair, and Heenan cheers and say, "it's not a skirt; it's a kilt." Followed by Piper beating on Flair: "That no-good skirt wearing ...."

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Whose side is he on?

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Of all the things Heenan said over the years, the one that sticks out and cracks me up every time was a random one-liner during a promo for a movie coming up after Nitro.

SCHIAVONE: Coming up on TNT right after Nitro, is "Two Mules For Sister Sara."
    HEENAN: It seemed like a good trade at the time.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They need each other. ... One without the other isn't any good ...

Oh I knew he was going to do that! He don't need Jannetty.

Jannetty tried to dive through the window to escape. Did you see that? What an act of cowardism!

10. Baron Scicluna

No 10-bell salute with the roster on stage? Come on WWE.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That was probably my favorite Heenan on-air moment. The timing was impeccable: A split second after Michaels did the superkick to Jannetty, he went with the "I knew he was going to do that" comment, totally contradicting what he said two second earlier.

One other great Heenan clip was an extra on one of the WWE DVDs, I forget which one, where Heenan is talking about a flight he took with Andre the Giant.
    Heenan tells of Andre trying to adjust his airline seat and was up dickering with the seat, already a couple sheets to the wind. Attendant asks him if he needs anything. Andre says 'screwdriver,' wanting another drink. Attendant comes back with an actual screwdriver, thinking he wanted it to fix the seat. Andre looks at her and says "it's a good thing I didn't order a Bloody Mary." Heenan then says after Andre finally settled in his seat, he goes into the galley to talk to the attendant, telling her "Hey, when you have a guy that huge who's already liquored up, you don't hand him tools."

Wish I could post that on here, but I couldn't find it on YouTube.

Batman, SpeedTchr and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

He told that story in one of his books. It's a great one.

I like a few stories he tells about his daughter, who did a few appearances on TV. One appearance was when Heenan and Gorilla went to Busch Gardens, and bumped into a woman (who was Heenan's real wife) and little girl (his daughter). His daughter called him a weasel and stomped his foot. He said he thought she enjoyed it a little too much.

A few years later, someone decides to have Big Bully Busick pop his cigar on a kid's balloon in the audience to make them cry. Heenan's daughter is picked to use as an audience plant; she has her balloon popped, she cries on cue, and everyone thinks it goes great.

Then Heenan ends his duties for the night, and goes backstage to find his daughter. He frantically is looking everywhere until someone tells him she's in ... Vince's office. Heenan nearly shits himself, goes to the office, and sees his daughter in front of Vince with her hand out, demanding a payoff. Vince starts laughing his ass off, then gives her $50 or whatever it was.

Next day, they do another taping, and had Heenan's daughter get popcorn dumped on her by Busick. She cries on cue, it goes well, and then Heenan rushes backstage to get her. Only, he's too late. His daughter again is with Vince, with her hand out. This time, Vince looks at Bobby, kinda gives him a look, and reluctantly gives his daughter some more cash. Heenan later tells her to stop, because if she persists, she'll get him fired. Meanwhile, the boys think it was great, and Gorilla jokes he wants her for his agent.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted