1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes. He got run over by Jerome Bettis once so he's not deserving. He was arguably the second-best LB of his generation. He won a DPOY award and was the best player on a defense that carried Rex Fucking Grossman to the Super Bowl. For that alone he should get in on the first ballot.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Alexander is not a Hall of famer

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Durability matters in the NFL. That Bettis contributed for a longer period of time is a factor in his favor.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently, I pissed off somebody's inner fanboy. :)

I count that moment more as something in favor of Bettis than a negative for Urlacher. I think Urlacher will get in eventually, but there are better options next year.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Considering the way the voters view QBs, Warner should be thankful he only had to wait until the third try.

6. Della9250

If he gets to the semifinals next year, I could see it. But I bet if you polled the voters, they'd say he's Terrell Davis without the postseason success and that's the difference between one in and the other not.

7. Della9250

Urlacher is an eight-time pro bowler, a four-time first-team all-pro with one second-team nod, a Defensive Player of the Year award and an all-decade first-teamer.

Jason Taylor just went in on the first ballot with six pro bowls, three first team all-pros and one second-team nod, a Defensive Player of the Year award and an all-decade second teamer.

Unless the voters say Lewis goes in first and Urlacher waits, that's a first-timer resume based on precedent, unless you are a jerk.

QYFW likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm biased, but I thought Davis deserved to be in. And I think there was a big push that the Broncos have three Lombardis and eight AFC titles -- and had only four players who primarily played their career at 5,280 feet in the Hall of Fame.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Taylor is the only one that surprises me. Fabulous player. As good as Owens? Hell no.

10. Michael_ Gee

I think that's why Law did so well. Patriots are the all-time dynasty (look it up) and will have relatively few players in Canton when it's all said and done. Brady sure. But Gronk may not last long enough. Although Andersen getting in bodes well for Vinatieri.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Vinatieri is in.

JC and Michael_ Gee like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

I sure hope so. But the prejudice against kickers among the voters is real and strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted